First dry hop batch !!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whenwood

Reaction score
So I done my first all grain and it called for a dry hop seven days in . I left it sit for another week and a half . Tonight I bottled it and there's was still a lot of hop suspended in the beer I bottled it any ways hoping it will settle out in the bottles .... And thoughts on what I done !? Anything wrong or a way to improve ?

image-2772851853.jpg

The instructions were probably for a 7 day dry hop, not for dry hopping seven days into fermentation. Always dry hop after fermentation is completly finished. As for the hops in suspension, you can filter them using a hop bag on your racking cane when you transfer to a bottling bucket, or crash cool your secondary for a couple days at around 32F and most of the particles will drop to the bottom and you can rack from the top carefully and have pretty clean beer to bottle.

Your beer will be fine. Most of the time fermentation will be done after 7 days. You may have hops in your bottles and it may not look great but it will most likely be OK. I like to wait for at least 14 days before I dry hop in a primary, but usually I primary 14 to 21 days and then dry hop in a secondary fermenter. Don't rush things, the more patients you have the better your beer will be.

Your beer will be fine. Most of the time fermentation will be done after 7 days. You may have hops in your bottles and it may not look great but it will most likely be OK. I like to wait for at least 14 days before I dry hop in a primary, but usually I primary 14 to 21 days and then dry hop in a secondary fermenter. Don't rush things, the more patients you have the better your beer will be.

Why? Increased medical billing allows purchasing of better ingredients? ;)

Ha. Back on topic...you can place a sanitized mesh hop bag over your siphon to filter out the material. Also, as said above, you would want fermentation to finish before you add dry hops. Lack of bubbles do not indicate whether fermentation is done. The only way to tell us if you have a stable hydrometer reading a few days in a row.

Ya patience, not patients.. Thats the problem with (DWP) drinking while posting.:drunk:

Back