Just Another Brew Day...(Pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick question if you don't mind BM, I was going to brew some more of this on Saturday and have and oz. of Saaz hops in the freezer, will this work fine as a substitute for the Sterling?
Thanks

This came out fantastic.

P4170308.jpg

Color in this picture is a little off for some reason though

Has anyone been able to convert this recipe to extract? I won't have the ability to brew AG for a few month's and wanted to make this recipe as soon as possible with my current set up. Thanks in advance!

This came out fantastic. Color in this picture is a little off for some reason though

Mine looks exactly like yours! I brewed it on 5/16, kegged on 6/4, and am drinking the second keg now. I used US-05 in one and WB-06 in the other which is also the one I'm drinking now. I must say, the WB-06 is much better.

Brought to BMBF'd bottles of this into a guy at work today that mentioned he really liked some wheat beer he tried the other day. Not muhc left of my 3rd keg of this stuff in 2 months!

Don't forget to share with friends, relatives and neighbors.

Spread the homebrewing message of goodness. :D

Gotta share this story:

Rewind to earlier this year and the Superbowl. What a great game - to bad someone had to loose. But, I digress. During the game I had a convo with a neighbor that went like this:

Him: "Trace, you brew beer? Really? I don't really like beer. I don't like hops. I like Guinness."

Me: "Really, that's interesting. You do realize don't you . . ." Screaming erupted after Arizona scored a touchdown and I never finished the sentence.

Fast forward to yesterday evening. Same neighbor was over and asked what I was drinking. I said it's a Wit and he asked to try it. He said he liked it and even had a second. I never did tell him he was drinking (and liking) a beer.

So BM, hats off to you and this great recipe. Here's also to spreading the great hobby of home brewing and winning over the masses one person at a time.

Cheers!

I just brewed this recipe up last night. What a great brew session. I doughed in at 5:30 and was cleaning up by 9:30. Can't wait for it to be finished.

Man I am jealous of you people and your 4 hour AG days.

Well, to be fair, I did a lot of pre-planning work. I crush my grain the day before. I came home for lunch and measured out my strike water. I preheat my mash tun with hot tap water (mine gets to 140!) while the strike water is heating.

I only do single infusion mashes. I use the 60 min rest to clean anything, measure and heat sparge water, measure hops, make sanitizing solution etc. I do a BobbyM style no mash out double batch sparge which takes no time at all. As soon as I fire up the burner, a few drops of Fermcap go into the wort. I can leave it unattended to clean until hot break occurs. Then its just setting a timer and throwing in pre measured hops (using a hop sack) at the right time.

Recently, I've been getting my wort down to ~100*F, dumping into my sanitized fermenter and putting it into the fermentation chamber. In the morning, its at pitching temps. Doing this really cuts out a lot of time. As we all know, getting wort from 212 down to about 100 is easy. Getting it from 100 to pitching temps is almost impossible, especially in the summer.

Well, to be fair, I did a lot of pre-planning work. I crush my grain the day before. I came home for lunch and measured out my strike water. I preheat my mash tun with hot tap water (mine gets to 140!) while the strike water is heating.

I only do single infusion mashes. I use the 60 min rest to clean anything, measure and heat sparge water, measure hops, make sanitizing solution etc. I do a BobbyM style no mash out double batch sparge which takes no time at all. As soon as I fire up the burner, a few drops of Fermcap go into the wort. I can leave it unattended to clean until hot break occurs. Then its just setting a timer and throwing in pre measured hops (using a hop sack) at the right time.

Recently, I've been getting my wort down to ~100*F, dumping into my sanitized fermenter and putting it into the fermentation chamber. In the morning, its at pitching temps. Doing this really cuts out a lot of time. As we all know, getting wort from 212 down to about 100 is easy. Getting it from 100 to pitching temps is almost impossible, especially in the summer.
so the 4 hours is just mash to 100* wort. I don't feel so bad now. Thanks.
I run a gravity fed CFC and can get wort to 70 in the summer through a single pass. I'm bad about getting lazy and not cleaning as I go. I used to, but have since slacked. I also use the same pot for HLT and BK So I basically have to wait till my second batch sparge is added to start heating wort. Hope to finish my EHLT by the end of the year :)

Now I'm feeling pretty good about my 5.5 hours. That's start to finish for me. I also take every opportunity to clean. But I fly sparge so I might just try the batch style in the future.

In the midst of brewing this WITness right now! IT smells awesome! Anyone tell me the effects of mashing a little high (158ish) and sparging a little low(160ish)? This is my first all-grain attempt!

In the midst of brewing this WITness right now! IT smells awesome! Anyone tell me the effects of mashing a little high (158ish) and sparging a little low(160ish)? This is my first all-grain attempt!

It'll be just fine. The higher temp will give you a bit more malt tones which suit this recipe well. I often sparge at 160(ish). :mug:

My wife and I giving this one a go next week. I just bought the grains from BMW. Not my favorite style, but I think the family will love this one. Thanks, BierMuncher!

Funny story about my experience with this beer.

When I brewed this I forgot to adjust for my efficiency. Missed my numbers and came in a 1.042 for the OG. Attenuation just wouldn't finish (even at 72 degrees) so I kegged it at 1.014 for my FG. The beer was just not good. Too sweet, too orangey, not dry, not peppery, just yuck. Nobody liked it.

I had one keg in the keezer and one on CO2 in the closet. I looked at my CO2 pressure in the closet and it read 30! Wow, I thought, That's high. So, I degassed all the beers on the CO2, lowered the pressure and reattached all the kegs. 2 days later the pressure was up again! I hadn't cold crashed the Wit so the yeast in the keg had started fermentation back up again. I took the keg off the CO2 and left the pressure release valve open with foil over it. 2 weeks later I put the keg in the keezer. The beer is out of this world! Nice, refreshing, tasty, dry, slightly peppery, a hint of orange, just what it was intended to be!

Edit: I took a hydro reading today and it's down to 1.007!

The other keg is now in the closet finishing fermentation while we drink the one in the keezer.

Moral of the story: get this sucker to ferment out all the way and it will be GREAT!

Thanks BM! :mug:

Kegged this a few days ago. Its not completely carbed, but i had to sneak a pint. WOW!!! What a great beer to close up the summer!

This looked like a great brew, so I want to make this as my first AG.

The LHBS had everything I need for a 5 gallon batch, EXCEPT, they only had 4 lbs of flaked wheat. I need 4.5 lbs.

What do you think about omitting the missing 1/2 pound of flaked wheat? Is there a substitute I should use, or should I just wait until they get more in next week? I have some extra wheat malt, but I assume that won't work as a substitute for flaked wheat.

Also, since this will be my first AG, can someone recommend a mash schedule for this? I will be studying Palmer closely for this one!

-Jason

This looked like a great brew, so I want to make this as my first AG.

The LHBS had everything I need for a 5 gallon batch, EXCEPT, they only had 4 lbs of flaked wheat. I need 4.5 lbs.

What do you think about omitting the missing 1/2 pound of flaked wheat? Is there a substitute I should use, or should I just wait until they get more in next week? I have some extra wheat malt, but I assume that won't work as a substitute for flaked wheat.

Also, since this will be my first AG, can someone recommend a mash schedule for this? I will be studying Palmer closely for this one!

-Jason
Sub in the wheat malt and it will be fine. I'd recommend some rice hulls for this recipe to avoid a sticky sparge though. :mug:

Can someone clarify for me what the proper amount of flour/water is for a 5 gal batch? I dont recall seeing that info in all these pages..

Thanks!

this is from the second keg so about 2 months after the brew the haze stays throughout the entire batch . I actually like the aged a little better than the first keg.

wit1.JPG

I brewed this again about 3 weeks ago and some how even though swmbo bakes all time we were out of flour. I week in the keg and its already clearer than the last time I brewed it. Not that it matters cause it tastes just as good and I am not submitting it to any comps.

I needed to clear up a keg for some of my new beer coming up. I took this to a party at a coworkers house and it was a huge hit. I had a little over half a keg left. It was gone in less than an hour.

I think you could probably add the flour mixture to the keg. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

I plan on making another 10G of this for my first spring brew next year. Went through 15G of it in about 2 months and got burnt out. But it will be coming back as a staple for sure!

I just read through this thread today and I am thinking that, even though summer is over, I will be making this as my next brew.

Can anyone that made a 5 gal. batch of this post up your numbers? I know it is pretty weak of me for not doing this, but I don't always have a lot of time on my hands. Any help would be much appreciated. Beersmith files will do as well.

Just an FYI. Coriander seeds can be bought in large quantities from Indian grocery stores for typically WAY less money than the brew supply houses sell them for. That goes for alot of other spices as well..

I gotta hand it to ya on this recipe BierMuncher - its a good one! Fermented for 16 days, in the bottle for 10 (so far) - so, obviously its a quick one.

SWMBO is a HUGE Hoegarden fan - I mean - its her go-to beer. Well, last night we did a side by side, taste test...

For appearance, she chose my homebrew as the "real thing".
For taste, she chose my homebrew as the "real thing".

Couldn't believe it - At $9 a 6'er for Hoegarden, it adds up. You just added a whole lot of cred to my homebrewing on the spousal level.

Thanks for putting up a fantastic recipe!

So, I did a search on this thread, and didn't find anything, but I didn't want to read through all 20 pages to answer my quick question, so I'll just ask it here.

The tea bags, do you just rip them open and dump them in at the end of your boil? Did you include it in your grain bag with your Coriander, Orange Peel and Black Pepper?

The only reason I ask is because I know when you're making tea, you're not supposed to boil the water while the tea bags are in it. It releases some undesirable flavor from the leaves. You usually let it steep in the water after it's cooled down a bit. I was thinking of adding my Orange, Coriander and Pepper in at the normal time, then start steeping the tea bags while cooling. Thoughts?

So, I did a search on this thread, and didn't find anything, but I didn't want to read through all 20 pages to answer my quick question, so I'll just ask it here.

The tea bags, do you just rip them open and dump them in at the end of your boil? Did you include it in your grain bag with your Coriander, Orange Peel and Black Pepper?

The only reason I ask is because I know when you're making tea, you're not supposed to boil the water while the tea bags are in it. It releases some undesirable flavor from the leaves. You usually let it steep in the water after it's cooled down a bit. I was thinking of adding my Orange, Coriander and Pepper in at the normal time, then start steeping the tea bags while cooling. Thoughts?
I've never had an issue...but steeping should be just fine. Normally I toss the spices in with 5-10 minutes left in the boil. Ripped and poured or just dropped in intact...doesn't really matter.

I threw it in with everything at the 10 min mark. No tannins. Remember, this is chamomile leaves, not tea (Camellia sinensis). Correct me if I'm wrong, but chamomile tea is actually the flowers, not leaves.

Tannins are actually produced by plants to ward off insects that like to eat leaves. This is why tea leaves contain a lot of tannin. Flowers on the other hand are bright and fragrant to attract pollinators. I'm not a horticulturist, but I don't think flowers contain much tannin. This is why you typically see directions for boiling herbal "tea" mixes since they do not contain any (Camellia sinensis)

[/geek lesson]

Back