My first attempt at a special bitter...does this look too hoppy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsuarez

Reaction score
I would hate to overhop such a delicate beer:

5.5 Gallons
OG: 1.047
IBU: roughly 40
efficiency: 67%

-10 lbs. Golden Promise
-0.5 lbs. British crystal 55L
-0.5 lbs. British Amber

60 mins- 1 oz Glacier Pellets (6 aa%)
30 mins- 1 oz Glacier Pellets
5 mins- 1 oz Glacier Pellets
0 mins- 1 oz Glacier Pellets

I was thinking of maybe cutting the 60 minute addition to .75 oz of glacier. Do I need to cut the 5 and 0 minute additions? Is 2 oz in the last five minutes crazy? I want it hoppy but wonderfully balanced.

What you have in terms of OG and IBU seems about right. I wouldn't change it. You could cut the bittering addition if you have cold feet though. You really don't need the last ones, but it's up to you. Most of what makes a Bitter is in the first and second additions really.

Bitters aren't usually quite as hop forward as American pale ale. The aroma should be more subdued. I'd cut the later additions in half instead of the 60 minute addition.

I'd cut the 5 & 0 minutes adds completely, that isn't the sort of profile you want in a Bitter. Cut the 30 minute to 1/2 ounce and add 1/2 ounce at 15 minutes.

As for over-bittering the Bitter, I made a Bitter as the second batch of a partigyle, and didn't cut my hop additions to account for a lower than anticipated OG. I was aiming for 1.050, but hit 1.039. So instead of 43 IBUs (.87 BU:GU), I got 47 IBUs for 1.2 BU:GU.

However, at 6 weeks, this is turning into one of my favorite beers, and yes, it is quite bitter :)

Back