Just finished first all grain brew..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thekage

Reaction score
So we did BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde as our first all grain brew. It went really well. I was freaking out a little because I thought I had to mash at 155 but could only get the temp to 150. But that is exactly where I needed to be lol.

It was the first time using our Keggle we built. It worked great except for the stainless pot scrubby sucked. It was also the first time using the mash tun. It has a cpvc manifold in the top and in the bottom - its set up for fly sparging and it worked great, sparging took 50 minutes and was easy. We ended up with a little under 5.5 gallons of beer. Hit my numbers dead on. Got right at 73% efficiency.

My neighbor poked his head out and asked hows the meth coming along?

2012-07-29 19.jpg

And before you start wondering why the keggle is the hot liqour tank and not the boil kettle.. its because Im just using that little pot to collect wort. It's borrowed, so I cant stick a ball valve in it. So the HLT is doing double duty as my boil kettle as well.

Good job! Feels good doesn't it! :rockin:

I wish my first AG batch did that well.

I have often wondered when the police are going to show up to my house from a "meth Lab" reporting LOL.

I scaled the recipe down to 2.5 gallons and did this as my first AG BIAB batch a few weeks ago. It's been in bottles for a little over a week now, and the first sample this weekend was absolutely incredible. I will definitely brew this again.

I'm really pleased.. I was surprised at how easy it really was. I was freaking out and was quite anxious about it. So anyone that is out there putting off going all grain, go for it! It's really not as hard and as intimidating as it seems!

Well done!
It is all in the prep.. Only problem with having your first one go so well you will be annoyed when it (inevitably) does not :)

Best thing about all grain? The smell of the mash..

It's almost scary how much easier it is than you'd imagine. If I'd have known back then what I do now, I wouldn't have waited.

I'm making my mom brew her first batch on saturday. I can't wait to see the deer-in-headlights look she'll undoubtedly have.

Congrats on your first AG brew day!

Edit...I decided to build the 10 gallon Rubbermaid Mlt instead of biab....so this will bet first full on AG batch. Seriously though, I only need one or two pieces of equipment before I'm set...lol

I think that recipe is perfect for the first all-grain batch. It was my 3rd or 4th but it was the first one where I really GOT it, if ya know what I mean. Congrats and I'm impressed you fly-sparged on your first one!

That was my first AG brew as well. It turned out nice and enough of my friends like it that it will be a repeat.

Back