American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know someone asked this but I didn't see an answer - this is next on deck for me and wondering if I should pitch two packets of dry yeast due to the high SG.

Thanks!

"Roasty"? Did you only use 6 ounces of amber malt? The only way I can see it tasting roasty is if brown malt was used instead of amber malt.

EFF ME!! I was shipped Brown Malt instead of Amber Malt!

I'm gonna lose my ****.

EFF ME!! I was shipped Brown Malt instead of Amber Malt!

I'm gonna lose my ****.

Well, it will fade quite a bit I'm sure. I use brown malt (3 pounds) in my brown porter, and it's very nice and roasty. But with just 6 ounces, the roastiness will fade. It may turn out very nice in the end (I hope!).

LOL - here's hoping. I'll have about 8 gallons of the stuff when all is said and done. I'll keg 5 and leave the rest to age in bottles. Worst case scenario, I host a house party and provide only my funky roasted IPA as the refreshment :p

I know someone asked this but I didn't see an answer - this is next on deck for me and wondering if I should pitch two packets of dry yeast due to the high SG.

Thanks!

My OG was 1.069 and I pitched 1.75 packs of US-05 (rehydrated). My FG=1.012. I'm still a newb, but I'd shoot for 1.5 packs to be safe (Mr. Malty recommended 1.3 packs).

Note: I made extract and it was a 5.5 gallon batch.

Looking forward to making this recipe, especially after reading all the awesome comments. I was able to pick up all the ingredients, but I had to order the Fawcett Amber online. I've never used this grain before and was surprised that it almost has a toasted/coffee flavor when I sampled a little of the grain. Just want to make sure that this is the right grain? I did some searches online, but couldn't get a good feeling one way or the other. I saw a few of the posts referring to someone getting brown malt instead of amber and I wanted to make sure I got the right grain. Thanks!

Amber is way lighter than Brown. I have a bunch of Amber, just ordered the Tomas Fawcett variety for this, and I got the Brown malt :( Also, Amber doesn't smell super roasty like Brown. I really should have noticed, but I was wearing my new dust mask when grinding and brewed in the middle of a dinner party, so I was a bit distracted.

Amber is way lighter than Brown. I have a bunch of Amber, just ordered the Tomas Fawcett variety for this, and I got the Brown malt :( Also, Amber doesn't smell super roasty like Brown. I really should have noticed, but I was wearing my new dust mask when grinding and brewed in the middle of a dinner party, so I was a bit distracted.

So, if I chew on a couple of the Amber grains, should it have any coffee flavor? I don't have a brown to compare it to, so I'm just going by flavor. I've never had an issue with getting the wrong grains before when ordering online, so I'm assuming I got the right stuff. I was just surprised that it seemed to have the toasty/coffee taste.

They sent you the wrong grain? Who did you order from?

Brewed this tonight... for some reason got terrible efficiency. Went with 11 instead of 13 lbs base malt thinking it would get me closer to the 6% abv DFH, but ended up with an OG of only 1054. Other than that, brew day went well. Looking forward to trying it!

I'm planning on brewing 10 gals of this soon, following OP to the letter...
Except...
I plan to split the batch and do 5 gals as an India Pale Lager. Anyone care to recommend a good lager yeast for this recipe?

Interesting idea. White Labs 800 Pilsner Yeast. Should give you a clean crisp beer that will accentuate the hops.

Once I get my keezer set up, it'll open up my extra fridge for fermenting and I plan on doing a pilsner with the 800. I've used it in the past and liked the results.

Holy crap, this new batch has been a gong-show for me.

I racked too early and had a FG of 1.020, definitely too high for my liking. I didn't notice until after 10 days of dry-hopping, so I just pitched some fresh US-05 in each carboy and it's bubbling away. I'll rack to a keg in a week and see what insane concoction I've brewed up.

Just bottled mine. Followed the recipe pretty closely, except I used S-04, no particular reason why. I didn't get very good efficiency 51% according to BeerSmith, but the sample tasted really good :rockin: Still, it got down to 1.002 frome 1.046, which figures at 6% after temp. adjust. Should be quite delicious in 3 weeks. I'll repost when I crack one. :D

Dovage said:
Just bottled mine. Followed the recipe pretty closely, except I used S-04, no particular reason why. I didn't get very good efficiency 51% according to BeerSmith, but the sample tasted really good :rockin: Still, it got down to 1.002 frome 1.046, which figures at 6% after temp. adjust. Should be quite delicious in 3 weeks. I'll repost when I crack one. :D

Yes, let us know. Did it with S04 last batch and didn't like.

Update:
-> to remind: I couldn't get warrior, used colombus instead, amarillo was only available in leaf, all others in pellet.
-> used extract recipe, but forgot irish moss
-> new burner cause wildly inaccurate steeping temperatures (target 67 celcius, good thing it wasn't all-grain!) and two episodes of boil-over, 45 minute steep
-> brewed a double (10gal) batch
-> 1oz simcoe, 3oz amarillo and 2oz colombus were FWH'd (last 30min of steep, left through 60' boil)
-> 15min knockdown after boil (remove from heat, chiller off)
-> upon cooling, added remaining hops at 170farenheit, until target temp for whirlpool hopping
-> split to two fermenters, adding 28oz honey (not clover) to one
-> used a smackpack of pacman in each fermenter
-> rack each after 1week to secondary
-> add 3/4cup lemon zest to the one with honey for 2nd (final) week of secondary (one orange used)
-> bottle-carbed using std corn sugar for non-lemon/honey, primed with more honey for the lemon/honey one (used 1.2oz honey per oz of sugar called for)

ended up about 6.4% in regular, 7.2% in lemon-honey (no doubt due to extra sugars from 28oz of honey in primary)
took almost 5 weeks for regular to fully carbonate, nearly 8 weeks for lemon to carbonate.

other than the VERY slow carbonation process, they are delicious.

only advice (other than figuring out the carbonation issue): the lemon was too much on the day of bottling, but by the time it carbonated, the lemon was a background note, not forward at all. I'll probably use at least 1cup of lemon zest next time, probably for both weeks of secondary.

Opinion: tons of hoppiness, comfortably bittered, smells like you're walking through a hop farm. Delicious; I plan on making this again soon, not sure which I'll do, contemplating moving more hops in FWH, from whirlpool.

Brewed 8g of this months ago. It didn't turn out. This is the second time I've brewed this; the first came out great. This last batch I split 5g into one fermenter and 3g into another. I added apricots and apricot spread to the 3g.

So far the beer has a odd off taste. It's like a plastic/melted plastic taste that adds an odd bitterness to it. My sanitation is good, my yeast came from a previous batch without issues, the brew went well, nothing was changed. The hops and grains should have been fresh, I seal my grains in bags and hops with a vacuum sealer. I use Chico yeast and ferment in a freezer at 64 for 3-4 weeks, crash cool and gel for another week. Im thinking the extract I used to make the starter contributed to the odd taste. It's 5 years old, but I had used it several times before.

I'm pretty disappointed with it. I've left the cases in the garage to see if it mellows. This is the first batch since I started that hasn't turned out. I'm wondering if Yooper or someone has experience with this.

Just stopped by MoreBeer (3 miles away!) and bought the ingredients for this. Brewing it up tomorrow; can't wait! Like others have done, I did end up going with only 12lbs of 2-row instead of 13, but that's just because my efficiency lately has been around 80% and I'm trying to stick close to the recipe. At the counter, the guy who rung me up immediately said, "IPA?" After I said yes, he asked "Dogfish head?"

Whoa!

I made a lower ABV version of this today. I love it, but I wanted something under 5.5% so I reduced the base malt a bit. I'm also trying two different yeast strains.

For one fermenter, I'm using dry BRY-97. For the other, I'm using Wyeast's Northwest ale yeast. We'll see how that comes out.

I kept the hopping basically the same but did additions at 15/10/5/0 instead of continous.

One of my smoother brew days; can't wait to see how it turns out. Efficiency was a little lower than I expected at 77%, but still well within acceptable tolerances. Color looks great, and I even remembered the whirlfloc this time (I tend to forget it like 95% of the time).

My only slip was that I accidentally dumped the entire 0.75oz of warrior in at the beginning. I was good about "continuous hopping" the remainder of the additions though, and for giggles even threw in the last 0.25oz of warrior from my pack as a zero minute addition.

Yoop, did I read your above post correctly that you first hop addition wasn't until the 15min mark? No 60-min addition? From what I've read, that's one of Jamil Z's methods, all last minute hop bursts (followed by whirlpooling). The Heretic Evil Twin (the amber) is like that, and is one of my favorites. I'm curious to see how your modification turns out. Let us know!

At the Brewpub, no Amarillo.

image-1177828326.jpg

pfgonzo said:
It's funny to me that they're calling a 6% IPA a "session" beer.

They have a beer called DNA UK right now that's 4.5% and similar to the 60 Minute, very good. Also Firefly that's 5% I think, Marris Otter and Calypso, very good also.

I have a question, I dry hopped yesterday with pellets didn't have a bag so I just dropped my pellets In with no specific research, and of course I have since read that the hops stay suspended in the beer for awhile. I will be going away In 2 weeks, I have a opportunity to keg it in 7 days will I lose anything if I leave it for 3 weeks to give it more time for the hops to drop out, or am I better off kegging it in 1 for best results?

Mglicini, what's the current liquid temp? If it's still in the 60s, then you'll get everything you can out of dry hopping in a week, and you can go ahead and keg it. 5 days seems to be the sweet spot for me. Supposedly long times at room temp could yield unpleasant grassy flavors, but I've never left them in long enough to experience it. YMMV.

If you have the ability to cool the beer down to the high 30s (which I assume you do, seeing as how you keg), dry hopping takes longer, and you're fine leaving the hops in there for the three weeks you're gone. Some people leave their dry hops in the keg until it's empty (as long as it's chilled).

pfgonzo said:
Mglicini, what's the current liquid temp? If it's still in the 60s, then you'll get everything you can out of dry hopping in a week, and you can go ahead and keg it. 5 days seems to be the sweet spot for me. Supposedly long times at room temp could yield unpleasant grassy flavors, but I've never left them in long enough to experience it. YMMV.

If you have the ability to cool the beer down to the high 30s (which I assume you do, seeing as how you keg), dry hopping takes longer, and you're fine leaving the hops in there for the three weeks you're gone. Some people leave their dry hops in the keg until it's empty (as long as it's chilled).

It's currently at 64 but I could simply move it to to 38. I have in a secondary fermenter I needed the 6.5 gal. So I just moved it to a 5 and drop them in.. I guess my concern is that I kinda want as much of the hops to drop out, without sacrificing quality. does that happen in 5 days or do you usually have a lot of floaters? I mean if it is unavoidable to have some hops floating around then lesson learned as long as it taste good personally, just one more thing I have to explain to people haha

Yoop, did I read your above post correctly that you first hop addition wasn't until the 15min mark? No 60-min addition? From what I've read, that's one of Jamil Z's methods, all last minute hop bursts (followed by whirlpooling). The Heretic Evil Twin (the amber) is like that, and is one of my favorites. I'm curious to see how your modification turns out. Let us know!

No, the first addition was at 60 minutes, but spaced out over the first 25 minutes. I've lately been just doing a 60 minute addition for the bittering, and doing the late hopping as directed. I haven't noticed much of a difference, to be honest.

It's funny to me that they're calling a 6% IPA a "session" beer.

It's quite good! I was there yesterday, at both the brewery and the brewpub and Sam was in Philadelphia today with his beers poured and I liked the "session IPA" even if it's 6%. It's better than 7-9%!

Yooper said:
No, the first addition was at 60 minutes, but spaced out over the first 25 minutes. I've lately been just doing a 60 minute addition for the bittering, and doing the late hopping as directed. I haven't noticed much of a difference, to be honest.

It's quite good! I was there yesterday, at both the brewery and the brewpub and Sam was in Philadelphia today with his beers poured and I liked the "session IPA" even if it's 6%. It's better than 7-9%!

Yooper, were you in the group that came on the bus?

Yooper said:

Well it was nice almost meeting you! So whatta ya think about the Palisade/Simcoe combo they list for the 60? I did one but with S04 and didn't like it, probably the yeast more guilty than the hops.

Well it was nice almost meeting you! So whatta ya think about the Palisade/Simcoe combo they list for the 60? I did one but with S04 and didn't like it, probably the yeast more guilty than the hops.

I think initially it was simcoe/amarillo/palisade. Then just simcoe/amarillo, and later simcoe/palisade. I'm not sure of when it changed, though.

Took a gravity reading today. Sat at 63F for 6 days and I'm at 1.010 (OG was 1.062). Going to give it another couple days, but now I'm torn on what I want to do.

Option 1: Cold crash to settle the yeast. Rack and harvest/wash the cake, and dry hop in the secondary.

Option 2: Let it clear at the current temp for another week or so, and dry hop in primary, then cold crash and prep to bottle. Don't bother harvesting yeast.

Option 3: Cold crash to settle yeast, and then warm back up to dry hop in primary, not worrying about either secondary or harvesting/washing yeast.

Decisions decisions...

Taste was amazing by the way.

pfgonzo said:
Took a gravity reading today. Sat at 63F for 6 days and I'm at 1.010 (OG was 1.062). Going to give it another couple days, but now I'm torn on what I want to do.

Option 1: Cold crash to settle the yeast. Rack and harvest/wash the cake, and dry hop in the secondary.

Option 2: Let it clear at the current temp for another week or so, and dry hop in primary, then cold crash and prep to bottle. Don't bother harvesting yeast.

Option 3: Cold crash to settle yeast, and then warm back up to dry hop in primary, not worrying about either secondary or harvesting/washing yeast.

Decisions decisions...

Taste was amazing by the way.

If it were me, I would warm to 67 for a couple days, then dry hop, then cold crash.

I have this instinct to cold crash before dry hopping to get more of the yeast out of suspension. My last few dry hop attempts came out muted, and I've read that yeast flocs will bind the hop oils and drag them down, so you lose some floral goodness.

I'd wait for it to settle naturally, but I'm impatient :)

Hi everyone,

Got a question on Dry Hopping this beer. Brewed last sunday, been fermenting at 62 for 6 days using US 05, Now I am getting close to dry hopping and want to know what to use to dry hop it. I cant find it in the original post or the 200 + pages on this thread.

Any help would be appreciated since this is my First IPA. I usually brew just Ales, mostly BierMunchers Centennial Blonde and EdWorts Haus Ale.

Thanks in advance.

From Yooper:
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops
Ferment until completely done, and then allow to rest. Two weeks is pretty good. Then, rack to a clean 5 gallon carboy and dry hop with the dryhopping hops. You can either just put them into the fermenter and rack onto them, or use a hops bag if you=d like. Just don=t pack them tightly, you want the beer to be in contact with the hops. Use two or three bags if you need them. After about a week, you can rack to a bottling bucket avoiding the hops chunks, and bottle. Prime as usual, with approx. 3.5- 4 ounces priming sugar for 5 gallons of beer. You may have less than 5 gallons, due to the hops sucking up some of the beer, that=s why 3.5-4 ounces is a good bet.

From Yooper:
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops
Ferment until completely done, and then allow to rest. Two weeks is pretty good. Then, rack to a clean 5 gallon carboy and dry hop with the dryhopping hops. You can either just put them into the fermenter and rack onto them, or use a hops bag if you=d like. Just don=t pack them tightly, you want the beer to be in contact with the hops. Use two or three bags if you need them. After about a week, you can rack to a bottling bucket avoiding the hops chunks, and bottle. Prime as usual, with approx. 3.5- 4 ounces priming sugar for 5 gallons of beer. You may have less than 5 gallons, due to the hops sucking up some of the beer, that=s why 3.5-4 ounces is a good bet.

Thank you So much!:mug:

Yes, let us know. Did it with S04 last batch and didn't like.

Got to try this finally! Well... First the S-04 gave it a slight funk, I mean real slight but it is there at the start, I fermented too warm:drunk:

Second, my bud at the LHBS didn't have Fawcett Amber, so I subbed with Victory Malt, When tasted side by side, DFH has a sweet almost brown sugar vibe to it, compared to mine.

All in all I'm happy, it still taste great and has a nice crisp finish. Next time a "No" to the S-04, and now that I have a Ferm Chamber, a "NO" to high ferm. temps.:mug:

I read a few pages but to many post to go through so I apologize if this has been talked about. This will be my first IPA and I was going to use 1187 wyeast. Does that sound like it will work? I see a lot of posts on pacman Nottingham etc. I can run and pick some up I suppose. But I had this on hand to brew another IPA then changed my mind to this one.

edit: Never mind stupid question

Latest posts

Back