ok to re-use muslin bags?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrychris109

Reaction score
1st batch i made, hops went in muslin bags. got some but very little sediment when transferring wort to fermenter. 2nd batch did not use bags, hops went directly into brewpot. when transferring, there was a lot of sediment (several strainers full). just wondering if it's ok to clean and re-use old muslin bags for later batches that don't have bags with the ingredients. i'm sure i could go buy some more bags, but just wondering if maybe i could save myself a trip and a few bucks. any input on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys. :tank:

I don't use them but I'd say sure, why not. I'd just be sure and rinse them real good before the hops dried / caked on.

Sure, just rinse the big stuf off & toss 'em in the washer. Let 'em air dry though, don't want any residual fabric softener chemicals getting into future brews.

I've re-used my muslin bags. The only one I didn't re-use was the one that had chile peppers in it.

I rinse off what I can and then let them air dry and fluff off any remaining crud, there's always some that refuses to let go during the rinse.

I would love to throw them in the wash machine but my better half would make my life ....... So I rinse, put them in a jar with bleach, soak, rinse a fwe times and before I use them they are boiled in water and air dried

yup, tie them up with a slip knot so they're easier to clean out. blast em with the hose and air dry. I do the same with grain bags.

Back