Adding yeast??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete1983

Reaction score
I have just finished bottling my first batch of beer. I secondary fermented it and it tasted like flat beer after about 3 weeks in secondary so I bottled it.
Now this is where I think I screwed up!! My buddy gave me some carb pills it said 4 to a 12 ounce bottle so I put them in. It has been 3 weeks since bottling and I still see a small portion of the carb pills in the bottom of the bottles. How long does it take to dissolve, or should I not use carb pills?

Thanks all

Why does your title ask about adding yeast when you mention cab pills in the posts? I'm a lttle confused.

A lot of folks hate carb tabs for that very reason since they don't necessarilly dissolve all that easily often.

I would give each bottle a got swirl, or hand flip to shake the sugar up a bit and dissolve the pill. Then if you're storing them above 70 check them in another week or 2 they should be fine then.

Typically it is rare you need to add yeast at bottling time, unless it's been about a year in secondary or it is a high grav beer. Otherwise there is plenty of yeast carried over at bottling to do the job.

:mug:

Get yourself a bottling bucket and some priming sugar next time. Makes things much simpler than trying to prime each bottle with carb tabs.

Sorry for not responding I haven't had time to get on to the forum till recently. Thanks for your suggestions REVVY and ChshreCat, I was actually asking if I needed to add a little yeast before I bottled because the carb tabs didn't dissolve. It turned out to be decent for the first time beer but a little flat! The second batch was darn near perfect using the priming sugar in the bucket.

Thanks again for the help,
Pete

Back