Mini-mash question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
So if I understand this correctly mini-mash = extended steeping? I only ask because other than a grain bag and sparge water, would I need anything else for a mini-mash?? I ordered a mini-mash kit from AHS and since I've only done extract batches from them before, I'm not sure what to expect. :drunk:

In the simplest of terms you can look at it that way.

The way I see it is you start with less water while targeting a specific temperature. After that you can add water to bring the volume up to what you're used to and go from there.

Well, not extended, really. Just about 45-60 minutes total.

If you have a grain bag, you'll be fine. The AHS mini-mash kits come with great instructions, and it's easy to do.

Yes it's like an extended steeping, but with water limited to about 1 qt per pound of grain, temperature controlled to about 152. If the kit comes with instructions, follow them!

great that helps to put my mind at ease, can't wait. Now if only I could manage to make the AG jump.

If you can do a mini-mash, you can make low-gravity AG session ales. Same equipment, same technique.

Back