Extract Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBake

Reaction score
Are extract kits the easiest for noobs to brew and should start out at?

Anyone have a list of companies that sell extract kits online?

Extract kits are almost fool proof...the water chemistry comes with the extract...making your own recipes (for either ag but more to the point extract) is a little more difficult...but can be picked up with a little experience...it's just like cooking...look at enough recipes, and play with the software and you will understand the variable that go into it...

ANd then the rest is up to you...you can be impatient, not use temp control or your hydrometer, cut corners on your sanitization ..that will determing whether or not the beer will turn out.

But to start out, doing a couple of kits will get your feet wet, without a lot of extra things to worry about.

As to where to buy, there are a ton of threads on here...this one looks to have several links

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/best-place-buy-ingredients-online-123125/

Welcome to the obsession! :mug:

Kits are great

The best places to buy are

For Price and selection, Northern Brewer Home Brewing and Winemaking

For Quality and fool proofness, The Home Brewery - Beer and Wine Making Supplies

This is one of my favorite wheat beer kits
honeywheat.jpg

Brewmaster's Warehouse is killer. Use the build your own and you can get 10% off. His prices are much better than LHBS too.

I don't recommend ordering liquid yeast through the mail though. I am 0 for 2.

As I have done a few kits myself, there are a few things to keep in mind...Some LHBS may not turn over the Extract enough and you may have some coloring issues, but with the way processing is done now it may not be an issue as much anymore...Brewers Best kits are pretty good and from what my LHBS told me is the kits are getting better (fresher hops and more varieties in the kits)...BYO also has a ton of Extract with grain recipes as well, just like a kit, but you control some of the ingrediants (Hop substituions, Yeast choices (Dry vs Wy vs WL) etc...Kudos to you and good luck with your brewing...

An extract kit is a great way to start. As mentioned, it is near foolproof. And in addition, it gets you used to the process. To me it's worth doing just so you can get a batch under your belt and understand how everything is done. When I started it sounded like a lot of work, but after a couple kits I realized it's not that tough. Well worth it.

Thanks guys, good community around here!

I have been reading about primary and secondary...particularly the process has change and not many people use secondary any more. With wheat beers are secondaries used often?

For beginners, I recommend starting out with a 24 liter pre-made wort, such as Festabrews (Canada). Tastes great and almost fool-proof!

For beginners, I recommend starting out with a 24 liter pre-made wort, such as Festabrews (Canada). Tastes great and almost fool-proof!

I'm new as you know, could you explain the process/steps to using Festa Brews?

Latest posts

Back