***need help quick how to raise ABV?***

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahoym8e

Reaction score
I have a fouled up Munich Dunkel that I made as an ale.

I put a little too much water in my primary, and ended up with 5.5 gallons.

my OG was 1.043, and now it is 1.015. it has not bubbled in the airlock for 2 days or more. I want to rack to secondary and see if I can raise the ABV a little. could i add some brown sugar (boil it in water, let cool and add to secondary)? I am thinking of adding a little tiny bit of hops too.

It tastes good, and is nice and clear, but a wee bit on the watery side.

I am going to rack to secondary in an hour or two, so any replies would be very appreciated!!!

Boil 1 oz of Malto Dextrin in 2 C water for 5 mins, cool then add it to the secondary. It won't raise the alcohol content because it is non-fermentable, but it'll give the brew more body.:D

I brew 5.25-5.5 gal batches.

Also after the beer is carbed and aged it will have a much different mouthfeel. I wouldn't worry about it too much. RDWHAHB and see how it turns out

well, I boiled up a cup and a half of organic brown sugar in a cup of water, and added it to my secondary, alonf with 1/4 of an oz of Hallertau hops.

it is fermenting now, and I am a little worried that it might push the hops (which all live in the neck of my carboy now) up into my stopper...

I think it is going to turn out just fine though. I just need to keep an eye on it.

I am brewing up a batch of Dunkelweizen right now (outside) and rainclouds just shot up and threaten to dampen my spirits....

So now you have a dry hopped Munich Dunkel Ale boosted with brown sugar.

Have you considered renaming the style of beer? Maybe inventing a new style entirely?

^ Ahahahaah!!!!

plus I made it with WL California V yeast!!!!

Poor beer, it's probably all confused...

Back