Belchalada Chalada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Guy Brewing

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast 1099 Whitbread
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 days, about 70 deg.
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 days, about 70 deg.
Tasting Notes
I was shooting for a Miller Chill and its a pretty good shot.
Total revision coming soon.

Ingredients:
4 lbs. extra light DME
1/2 lb. carapils malt
1 oz. whole crystal hops
8 oz. malto dextrin
1 cup priming sugar
1 can Minute Maid Limeade
1 tablespoon of salt

Steeped carapils grain at 150 for 30 min. Boil extract for 1 hour. Added 1/2 oz. of hops 10 minutes into boil. Added malto dextrin at 45 minutes. Added 1/2 oz. of hops for last 5 minutes of boil. Pitched yeast and fermented. It was 4 days in the primary, but it may have only needed 3 days, and another 4 days in secondary. Prepared priming sugar and added to bottling bucket with the beer. Then put in 1 can Minute Maid frozen Limeade. I poured a tablespoon of salt into the middle of the bucket and was about to do more, when the great foam volcano erupted. Straight up from the middle, it left an inch layer of foam on top that I had to scoop out. No more salt. It has a hint of salt taste, but I am still debating if I want to do that again. Bottled and it was ready in about 10 days. A very good summer beer. I will probably cut back on the priming sugar next time.

You fermented a beer out in 7 days and you went through a primary and a secondary to do it? And it was a good summer beer? And what was the salt for?

There is not alot of malt there to ferment. The air lock had dropped after 4 days in primary which tells me it was done at that point. Its only about 3% abv. It may have been a day early or so early in the secondary, but I wasn't going to have any time to bottle after that. I recommend picking up a 12'er of Miller Chill, it has lime and a hint of salt in it.

I drink miller and coors but Miller chill??? that is shi**y gimmicky chick shi* !
and did you just combine letters to come up with the thread title? Bullchitlada chitlada?

There is not alot of malt there to ferment. The air lock had dropped after 4 days in primary which tells me it was done at that point. Its only about 3% abv. It may have been a day early or so early in the secondary, but I wasn't going to have any time to bottle after that. I recommend picking up a 12'er of Miller Chill, it has lime and a hint of salt in it.

yeah lack of airlock activity means nothing. Buy a hydrometer.

Latest posts

Back