Perlick 425 vs 525 (Perl)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzlybrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the process of building a keezer and looking at faucets right now. I'm definitely going with Perlick, but I'm running into a difficult decision (not really that difficult, I'm just overcomplicating). I did a favor for my LHBS guy and was given a new 525 Perl in exchange. He told me if I wanted to trade up for the 425, I could just pay the difference. My only concern is keeping the nozzle clean. My LHBS guy loves the 425 because he can just screw the tip off and soak/clean when he notices a build up.

Any thoughts on this or any thing else I should consider? The Perl 525 is usually $10-15 cheaper...

They're both so beautiful. I keep pulling the Perl out of the box and staring/rubbing/drooling over it. SWMBO doesn't get it.

Perlick 425
Perlick_425_Faucet.jpg

Perl 525
Perlick_525_Faucet.jpg

I have two of the 525s and they are great, I wouldn't ever buy any of the cheaper faucets now, especially after using the Perlicks for a while.

I could be wrong but I think they both are pretty much the same internally, they both have the forward seal... way better, more sanitary than the others. If you take apart your 525 you'll see how simple it is to clean when needed... prolly already have, right? I run Straight A through mine after each keg and I have never noticed my tips getting funky, although it might be nice to be able to unscrew them if I wanted to.

You'll be happy with ether one I'm sure, but if you have to get several of them the extra $ for the 425s might add up.

Can someone enlighten me as to why it's so important your taps are sanitized??? Don't you just pour your beer and drink it? I don't make sure my faucet is sanitized when I get some water. Hyperbole aside, what's the point?

Can someone enlighten me as to why it's so important your taps are sanitized??? Don't you just pour your beer and drink it? I don't make sure my faucet is sanitized when I get some water. Hyperbole aside, what's the point?

I guess the point is when you pour a beer, some residual beer is left coating the inside of the nozzle - moisture with sugar remains. Over time it's not a pretty picture. Comp - do you wash your dishes in between meals? If so, why not wash/clean your nozzles between beers or long periods between pours?

I'm sure holding a glass of hot water (especially with B-Brite) under the tap (submerging the nozzle) would do the trick... just curious as to other people's experience.

*edit* - just re-read your post. Water alone (from your kitchen faucet) will eventually evaporate, there's very little for nasties to feed on.

Back