Pilsen Light vs. Golden Light DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
So I ordered some light DME, and ended up getting "Pilsen Light DME," and "Golden Light DME." I did a bit of research online and they are both the same except for the name (ie: 1-3 * Lovibond for both).

What's the story? Are they different, the same? Can they both be used as a "light DME."

I asked a very similar question recently in a different forum. The answer was pretty much that they are interchangeable. They may be made with a different base grain but should get very similar results and taste. I think that with that lovibond rating these are closer to an extra light DME?

I did a bit more poking around, and the Pilsen is generally rated at 1-3 L, while the Golden is at 3-6. Arounding 6ish is what I consider "light DME," so I guess the Pilsen could qualify for extra light. I just wanted to verify there weren't any special grains in these DMEs before I dumped them into my boil, but from everything I gather they're both base-malt and Carapils (so I'm good).

I scooped them up to add gravity in some big beers I'm brewing up soon (an English barley wine and a double bastard clone). I guess I'll use the Pilsen in the Barleywine, where color is more of a concern for me.

I would assume one is made out of Pilsner malt and the other from 2 and/or 6-row.

Both are from Briess. Pilsen Light is mashed from domestic Pils malt; Gold is mashed from domestic 2-row Pale malt. Both extracts are mashed with a proportion of CaraPils, though Briess does not release how much exactly.

I find I prefer Gold for American and English ales, and Pilsen for Belgian ales.

Cheers!

Bob

Back