A Carboy Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jzak09

Reaction score
I've aquired two carboys for 25 bucks... One of them is perfect but the other one, has a wierd bottom. It's all groovy, rigid and hard to explain. It's not scratched or anything it was defiantly made that way. But I was wondering if any extra precautions should be taken before using it. I have already done an oxiclean soak and it looks pretty clean. I have my First Brew (NutBrown) in the primary and will be using this wierd one as the secondary. Any Idea?

I'm just the tiniest bit worried it'll hide some wild yeasties....

I think I'd be more concerned with what the carboys were used for before you got them. Sounds like you did the right clean-up, remember to sanitize now that you're getting ready to rack to it.

The "weird bottom" is a standard molding to make (fairly) sure that in the event of "a problem" with the carboy (ie, it gets seriously pressurized) the bottom is what breaks out, and does so in small pieces. Looks kinda like cracks in mud or ice, yes? I have several like that. The thin carboys typical of homebrew suppliers with the "basket-weave-bulges" usually don't have that, but it's typical of carboys actually intended for shipping fluids.

Latest posts

Back