What are some classic German ales?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
When it comes to classic German beers, I can only think of lagers. Hmmm I guess they mostly like lagers just like the rest of the world- but do you know of any classic German ales?
Beerbeque

Dortmunder Export, Altbier, Hefe, Kristal, Kolsch, Sticke, Rauchbier,... I'm sure there's got to be more.

The funny thing about this forum is that when we are "on our game", there is a good chance we've also had a few too many - I think he maybe misread your question... heh

German ales are all kinda funky... Weizen, Gose, Berliner Weiss, and a raft of deprecated styles with crazy names like Peeterman. Germany settled on lager as its primary style... you've gotta be looking for something really out of the ordinary to be looking for a german ale...

I like you...you want to wander off the beaten path in your brewing...

Dusseddorf Altbier is one...here's an article on them http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/beer_traveller/46320

ANd Michael Jackson's write up http://www.beerhunter.com/documents/19133-000838.html

I even found you a recipe....
Altimate Nullifier (all grain)
4 lbs Cargill 2-row Pale
3 lbs Cargill europils
.5 lbs Cargill red wheat
2 lb mussedorfer munich
1.5 lbs Weyerman caramunich
0.1 lbs Bairds chololate

2 oz Tettnang (60 minutes)
1 oz tettnang (45 minutes)
1 oz saaz (30 minutes)
1 saaz (0 minutes)

SG: 1.056
IBUs: 52
abv: 6.2%

And I'm surprised that no one mentioned that old stand by Kolsch...

Here's some info from Wikipedia...
German ales tend to be fermented at a somewhat lower temperature, and have more body than British or Belgian ales due to differences in mashing process; the traditional German decoction mash tends to create more oligosaccharides to provide body to the beer. The best-known varieties are Kölsch, a very pale ale from Cologne, and altbier (most associated with Düsseldorf but made in other parts of western Germany as well); wheat beers such as Hefeweizen and Berliner Weisse are also technically ales, though they may have different flavours, particularly the pronounced banana-like estery flavour of hefeweizen.

Here's a buch of different Kolsch recipes...http://www.bodensatz.com/staticpages/index.php?page=20020510221215114

I've only had one beer, so I am relative pober:D

:mug:

German ales are all kinda funky... Weizen, Gose, Berliner Weiss, and a raft of deprecated styles with crazy names like Peeterman. Germany settled on lager as its primary style... you've gotta be looking for something really out of the ordinary to be looking for a german ale...

Peetermann is from Louvain, but you're right about older styles of German ale being wheaty and weird (and ****ing awesome).

Just to sum it up...

Altbier (Northern German, Düsseldorf, and Sticke)
Kölsch
Roggenbier (Rye)
Most German beer brewed with wheat: Hefeweizen, Berliner Weiss, Gose, Kristallweizen, Einbecker (historic) etc.)

What did I miss?

Keep in mind, many of these need to be fermented with relatively good temperature control (lower than typical ale yeasts) and many are still lagered.

When it comes to classic German beers, I can only think of lagers. Hmmm I guess they mostly like lagers just like the rest of the world- but do you know of any classic German ales?
Beerbeque

Edit: menschmaschine you were too damned fast!! :D

Kolsches, Altbiers and Wheatbiers; Weisse, hefeweizen roggenbier. This includes weizenbocks too.

These are the primary ales.

haha.

I actually just got back from a German beer tasting at our local shop. Feeling pretty good right now.

I discovered that Dunkels are neat.

Swarzbier's good, too.

Actually, while we're on this topic. A new one (for this list) is Dampfbier. I might brew that next.

From GermanBeerInstitute.com:

<<Dampfbier (literally: steam beer) is a centuries-old style from the region of the Bavarian Forest, the southeastern portion of Bavaria, near the Czech border. It is an all-barley ale, usually deep golden to light amber in color.>>

Wait wait wait. Now the Germans invented Steam Beer too!

Gawddammit. The one beer we could say was truely invented in America. And now the Germans are saying they did it first.

Rudeboy

From GermanBeerInstitute.com:

<<Dampfbier (literally: steam beer) is a centuries-old style from the region of the Bavarian Forest, the southeastern portion of Bavaria, near the Czech border. It is an all-barley ale, usually deep golden to light amber in color.>>

Wait wait wait. Now the Germans invented Steam Beer too!

Gawddammit. The one beer we could say was truely invented in America. And now the Germans are saying they did it first.

Rudeboy

Those verdampf Germans!

Get it? Anyone? (Tumble weed rolls by.)

Back