Racking problems.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay29

Reaction score
On my last 4 brews, I have started to try dry hopping to add aroma. The first two I used 2 ozs. of pellet hops to the secondary. Not to much of a problem when racking to the keg. The last two brews I have used 4 oz each. Today, I TRIED to rack one to the keg. I placed a hop bag around the intake of the cane and tied some string around it to hold it in place. I had about a third to go and it all started to clog up on me. The cane sucked in the bag and hops with it and the siphon STOPPED. I tried and tried to get around this and it all failed. I lost a 1/3 of my brew. I guess I will use hop bags next time around. I have one brew left to rack to a keg. What do you recommend I should do? :drunk:

do you have something that you could put deep into your carboy like those plastic homebrew spoons. If you had 2 it'd work I think. I'm thinking you've got rig something that you can cover with the hop bag and put your cane in.

Or maybe hold the cane throught the entire siphoning closer to the top. That will give those hops less of a chance to clog it up.

You should keep the 1/3 of brew left behind. Just let it settle a bit and reattempt a siphon.

On another note, I've heard of brewers that dry hop right in their kegs so maybe you should consider letting some hops get in there.

Hopefully that may steer you in the right direction. I don't have a fullproof plan for yah.

stop using pellets to dry hop. leaf hops float so they stay out of the way during racking. I think they have a slightly better aroma anyways.Otherwise a hop bag will work

Panty hose work too. They are nice and long and easy to control. Ridge Runner is right, Don't pull it snug.

Back