Batch Sparge question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pratzie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Beersmith is telling me to batch sparge with two steps (2.17 gal, 4.62 gal) of 168 degree water. Not quite sure what that means. I always thought u just used one set amount of water, stirred and then drained again.

Any advice would be great.

You can do it as one large sparge if you like. I don't have it in front of me at the moment but I think all of beersmiths batch sparging techniques are split in two. I have done it both ways single and double and have seen no increase in efficiency.

I use the first number as a mash out. When my hour mash is done, I heat that first volume to about 190. I throw it in right before I start stirring before I vorlauf. The next volume is what I use for the sparge. I heat that water to the temp they suggest.

I do the two step sparge method with 190-200F water and i vorlauf several litres before draining to the pot. This has helped raise my efficiency.

Batch sparging does not require a mash out. If you can fit the entire volume in as one step there is no reason to do 2 steps. I've done both with no apparent difference in efficiency

The way it was explained to me is because between 140-150 degree Beta Amylase is breaking off and separating the small chains of sugars from the grains during mashing, then at 150-168 Alpha Amylase starts working on the larger chains of sugar so your wort is more fermentable beersmith allows you to go through those range in 2 steps instead of 1 big one

adixon3 said:
The way it was explained to me is because between 140-150 degree Beta Amylase is breaking off and separating the small chains of sugars from the grains during mashing, then at 150-168 Alpha Amylase starts working on the larger chains of sugar so your wort is more fermentable beersmith allows you to go through those range in 2 steps instead of 1 big one

Not really,
The purpose of a mash out is to stop any further conversion and is necessary when fly sparging or else conversion can continue through the long sparging process.

When batch sparging you use water that is hot enough to do this all at once so a mash out is not necessary.

BeerSmith gives you a double sparge if your volume will not fit all at once dependent upon your equipment set up and batch volumes required. If you can fit the entire sparge volume in one shot there is no need to split it

If you want to get rid of that, go into beersmith mash profiles, check equal amounts box and drain tun box.
Then beersmith will only have one amount for batch sparging.
Slainte

Back