AHA membership rally at Stone, 9/29

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germey

Reaction score
From Noon to 3 tomorrow, Stone will be hosting an AHA membership rally. A discounted AHA membership ($33) is your admission price. There will be AHA info, special Stone tasters blah blah blah, but what should be really interesting is this.
(from the Stone Website http://www.stonebrew.com/calendar/#070929)

In the spirit of hombrewing, Stone Headbrewer Mitch Steele invited eager homebrewers from across the southland on Sunday, July 8th into the brewhouse for a "brew along" on Stone's immaculate, state of the art, Bavarian made brew house. The resulting Stone Levitation Ale unfermented wort was then up for grabs to all participants who quickly carted it away in 10 and 20 gallon jugs to work their zymugical magic on it. Once home, the brewers could subject it to endless possibilities: spicing it, lagering it, "Belgian-izing" it, etc. Now the results are in! With your membership you'll get to sample 35 unique creations and judge for yourself the measure of each homebrewer's talent by casting a ballot for your favorites. The Homebrewers are looking forward to sharing their creations and answering questions about the amazing variations they came up with. Here's a short list of what you can expect...
Brewer Notes For Just Ten of The 35 Homebrewed Beers you'll Get To Sample This Saturday!
  1. 1st running that I steeped Black Patent and Chocolate malt in to make a Baltic Porter.
  2. Alleviation Cherry Stout: Blend of cold and first wort, roast barley added to wort. Sweet and Sour cherries added to 2°
  3. "Sour Levitation" First runnings off the lauter tun. topped off water before boiling with centennial and styrian golding @ flameout. OG: 1.069. F.G . 1.020 Fermented with WLP 530 Abbey Ale yeast I believe. A definite sourness comes with this one.
  4. Perturbation I: Kettle wort boiled down and fermented with Scottish Ale yeast
  5. "AVH" Apricots vs. Hops. Cold wort. Added California Ale yeast and then 5 lbs of apricots after initial fermentation was complete. The hops and apricots do battle in the nose and flavor! O.G. 1.048. F.G. was 1.010.
  6. Dunkelweiss derived from unhopped Levitation wort. I combined the runnings from 4lbs wheat and 2lbs Munich malt with the unhopped Levitation wort. This was then bittered with Amarillo hops to give it a little more american feel and was fermented at 64F with a White Labs Hefe IV slurry.
  7. Levitator Eisbock: Cold and 1st wort blend, fermented and lagered at cold temps and iced.
  8. Took first runnings and finished cold wort, mixed the two and added two different sugars, boiled it, and fermented it with a house blend of Belgian style yeasts. I call it (Stone) Leviathan.
  9. COLD WORT - added candi sugar with bitter orange peel, fermented with WLP550 Saison yeast.
  10. 10 gallons of cold wort, added 1/2gallon H20, 1lb corn sugar, 2lbs dark candi syrup - fermented w/ WLP565 Saison @ 95F for 4 weeks to a gravity of 1.018, pitched champagne yeast and lagered for 2 weeks @ 53F to a final gravity of 1.007

Several members of my club participated in this and I've already sampled some of the ones described above. I can't wait to try and sample them all in the 3 hour window!
Cheers,
Jeremy

Back