Carboy question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbird

Reaction score
I brewed a beer about 8 days ago. Fermented like crazy for 5 days and then the airlock just stopped. I took a reading and it wasn't at the right FG. So I left it. 3 days later I took an other reading and it was the same. So I thought what the hell and put it in my carboy to clear a bit.
The question is do you think I put it in my carboy to soon. I am going to leave it there for at least 2 weeks. It did start fermenting a but more also.

I just leave mine in the primary for 2-3 weeks then bottle if its gravity readings are good. You should be fine, just give it time to creep down to its final gravity.

lebucheron said:
I just leave mine in the primary for 2-3 weeks then bottle if its gravity readings are good. You should be fine, just give it time to creep down to its final gravity.

Yea that's what I thought. I have never used a carboy before so I wanted to ask. Thanks.

It is probably done, but at least it will have time to mature and clear. No need to worry about taking it off the yeast too early if you just primary it in the future. You can primary in a carboy.

I brewed a beer about 8 days ago. Fermented like crazy for 5 days and then the airlock just stopped. I took a reading and it wasn't at the right FG. So I left it. 3 days later I took an other reading and it was the same. So I thought what the hell and put it in my carboy to clear a bit.
The question is do you think I put it in my carboy to soon. I am going to leave it there for at least 2 weeks. It did start fermenting a but more also.

Dude, I racked my beer to secondary after only 3 days once and still had a great beer. Following the 1,2,3 rule (1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, 3 weeks in bottles), you actually gave it an extra day, don't even worry about it.

Cheers

:mug:

Try leaving it in the primary next time for 2 weeks to give the yeast time to clean up after themselves, it's worth the extra week.

Unusmundus said:
Dude, I racked my beer to secondary after only 3 days once and still had a great beer. Following the 1,2,3 rule (1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, 3 weeks in bottles), you actually gave it an extra day, don't even worry about it.

Cheers

:mug:

I try to follow that rule. I have in the past but I just got this carboy and I wanted to use it so bad. I'm kind of inpatient. I'm going to try and use it as a primary next time.

Back