BIAB grain bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hojo3322

Reaction score
I am trying to transition from extract to all grain brewing. I figured a nice place to start would be the BIAB method before investing in some new equipment. I recently bought a 15 gallon mega pot and was wondering what size grain bag do people use and where do they find them online? This would be for 5 gallon batches.

Any help would be appreciated :mug:

I use a large bag, a bit bigger that a pillow case. It fills a keg brew pot and has a bit of room to spare. I would go big so you have room to work with, such as hanging the bag or squezeing the grain.

i usually use 5 gal paint strainers. their max is ~10#, for a larger grain bill, i get the large nylon mesh bags at the LHBS. they're a bit more expensive, but they how a lot more grain.

It's recommended that your grain bag is large enough that you can fit your brewpot inside of it. I have a 8 gallon pot and has mashed up to 14.5# in it. I bought some voile curtains from Kohls ($11) and that gave me enough to make 3 bags. I just brought it over to my mom and had her sew them up for me. My first BIAB I just used a large grain bag from my LHBS, but some grain did squeeze through. The voile is a much finer mesh and produces a very clean wort in my experience.

What is the diameter of your pot? Is it close to a 5 gallon bucket, or is it short and fat? If it is 5 gal bucket size, the 5 gallon paint strainers will hook around the rim perfectly.

I used those, but switched to the finer voile material you can buy as curtains and loose fabric at Wal-Mart, etc.

If you only have access to the paint strainers now, you can always rubberband a piece of the voile material to your autosiphon/cane when you transfer to bottling bucket/keg.

You'll likely need to make one from voile with that size pot...of course, if you're doing 5 gallon batches, I'd guess the large pot is just your brew kettle, not used for mashing, right? I'd mash in something closer to 6 gallons (a cooler, smaller pot, etc.) that way you can use smaller bag or just drape the voile cloth into it (that's what I do).

What are you mashing in?

I don't know how big a mega pot is, but I'll second the 5 gal paint strainer bags from (Lowes/Home Depot). You can get a 12# grist in, but the bag wears faster. If that's not large enough, try a home goods (or fabric store). The curtains idea is fabulous.

thanks guys for the help here :mug: never thought of making my own bags

the pot is 19" in diameter. I keep searching online and can't seem to find anything big enough. looks like a trip to wal-mart is in my future. Gotta try and remember how to sow too :)

I made my own to fit my pot (also 15 gal)...wasn't really that hard to do. It's been through probably 6 batches or so...one with a grain bill over 20lb.

I bought a square yard of voile from a fabric store. I didn't even make it into a bag, just put it in the pot so that the extra hangs out. I use a bungee cord to make sure the bag doesn't hang too far down and burn.

BTW, I use a 10 gallon pot.

Make your own! Here is a picture of mine on my 10 gallon Megapot. You will be much happier with a bag made with the correct material and size for your pot.

2012-01-07 14.17.02.jpg

2012-01-07 14.35.16.jpg

you guys rock :rockin:

now that i have flipped back a couple of times i think i am going to make my own. How did you guys go about choosing what to sow with and is there any sowing techniques you would recommend. I have not sowed anything since 8th grade home ec class. i am just worried about the bag ripping under the weight of the grain. my best guess would be to just double stitch everything

you guys rock :rockin:

now that i have flipped back a couple of times i think i am going to make my own. How did you guys go about choosing what to sow with and is there any sowing techniques you would recommend. I have not sowed anything since 8th grade home ec class. i am just worried about the bag ripping under the weight of the grain. my best guess would be to just double stitch everything

I would double or triple up the material at the seam, and probably use a double stitch as well.

Check out this post. This is a good shape/style to make. It is what I'm going to get sewn up for me.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/biab-brewing-pics-233289/index2.html#post3537774

Check this site out. The guy makes bags for BIAB and they are of good quality. They are $35 dollars including shipping. He takes the measurments of your kettle and walla you have a nice brew bag for your next batch. Money well spent if you dont like or know how to sew.

http://http://brewinabag.weebly.com/brewing-in-a-bag.html

brewinabag.weebly.com points to a vacuum site now :drunk:

If you are interested in a bag, you can see my updated site by going to bagbrewer.com

Back