What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Warming up ingredients for another batch of Cooper's English bitter I'll be brewing up quick in awhile. Gonna make malt vinegar out of a gallon of it in a couple weeks.

Installed a new peg board for storage and drying OG all my pump
Tubing w/ cam locks.
Tapped my Back in Black clone.
Set up for brew day tomorrow w/ my daughter. Doing an AG batch of Ninkasi True Believer Double Res.

Worked on dialing in my new system using Biermuncher Centennial Blonde recipe. Worked my ass off but had encouragement of friends - 1 extract brewer and 1 AG brewer. Moving up from 5 gallon BIAB to 1 bbl 3V. Cleaned alot and sanitized alot. Just got done cleaning up.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T for all the nano and micro brewerers out there.

Note to self - by more tri-clamps, silicone hose and gaskets. Color code everything for each step of the brewing process.
Feeling tired but accomplished

Got my 7cf chest freezer/ferm chamber cleaned and sanitized so I could put the dunkelweizen I also brewed today in there and get it ready for Oktoberfest

Labeled 55 bottles of beer for my college reunion next week. Halfway through I had a bit of a beermergency when a half full case of freshly labeled bottles tipped over and smashed all over the floor. Five good soldiers down and beer and glass all over the floor including under the kegerator. I believe I may have committed verbal sin at that point and loudly as I am quite without voice still.

In the lessons learned department though: I now understand the reason for the installation instructions for the kegerator that I didn't follow about sealing the kegerator to the floor with a healthy bead of silicone. It's a real ***** cleaning under there after a spill.

Yesterday kegged up a couple batches to free up fermenters and harvest yeast. Thinking of brewing again today but never built up a starter. Been a while since my last dual brew weekend I guess I'm out the swing of things.

Broke my freakin' 2L flask. I put it on the drying rack just like always, and it tipped over and broke on the concrete floor. Crap.

Transferred IPA using homegrown hops into keg for cold crash and secondary dry hop. No idea why but there is a lot of phenolic flavor to this beer, I fermented a big starter and fermented at 66. I guess it happens sometimes that a batch doesn't turn out great, hasn't happened to me in years and years. I am hoping a cold crash will drop out some of the yeast and I can make the flavor
Drinkable.

Emptied the two kegs into bottles. Cleaned and sanitized the kegs and lines. Racked the Thunderstruck and Bit R Done to the clean kegs and put them on gas. That was all yesterday. Today I'll harvest a bunch of yeast slurry from the Bit R Done because you can never have enough S-04 on hand.

Side note: this was my first time using harvested yeast. Sure, S-04 is cheap and all but at $4-5 a batch this is starting to save a little cash. Within 4 batches I'll pay for the jars.

Kegged 10 gallons of wet hop IPA, put 3.5 oz of the same whole hops in the SS dry hoppers, threw em in the kegs, and turned on the gas.
First time dry hopping in the keg at the same time as carbonating.

Collecting first runnings of a Belgian golden based on rare barrel. Racking onto a sour yeast cake

I think I finally got my BC grain mill adjusted right after disassembly & cleaning. Gotta loosen the right bolts/screws. Gotta box & clean some more bottles to brew tomorrow. Wanna ration out the two-2oz bags of ghosts & fatalii's for the Hellfire IIPA & mole' stout. Then lump the rest in with the scorpions & will be for hot sauce so they don't sit around too long. Sauce should be aged nicely by the time it gets cold again? Being so acidic, a 20 minute water bath should seal'em up ok?...

Wired up my STC 1000 and hooked up my chest freezer ferm chamber. Just a few more things and the basement brewery will be complete. Until the next upgrade. :)

After a long summer of not being able to brew...getting ready to get back in the game: Just got the pieces this week to set my BK up for whirl pooling, and mash tun recirculation and sparging without having to remove the top! Also, I finally have a separate freezer for dispensing (just picnic taps for now) and a proper temp controlled fermentation chamber. I even have a water analysis for my well water as well. And also as well, PWM controlled 24V recirc pump for the RIMS so I have better flow control. Just need to redo the control panel. I'm excited!

Gotta get the hops & yeast out to come up to room temp. Gonna brew up the PM hot pepper IIPA today. Gonna get some peppa sauce started too.

Bottled my Saison and racked over my Brett beers for an additional month of aging, one onto cherries and the other will get a small dry hop in a few weeks.

Brewed an Irish Red Ale extract kit.

brewing irish red.jpg

Back