Single, Step, or of the Big D

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Single, Step, or the Big D

• Single Infusion Mashing

• Step Mashing

• Decoction Mashing

Results are only viewable after voting.

SkaBoneBenny

Reaction score
So I was wondering what you ALL all-grain guys use for your mashes. I'm partial mashing in a cooler (due to my current lack of space) and then extract/boiling. My mash is single infusion and I've been noticing my beers have a bit more residual sweetness and chill haze than I would like. I'm moving to all-grain this summer and want to see if switching to Step-mashing is the prefered method.

What do you guys use? What do you recommend?
-Ben

SkaBoneBenny said:
So I was wondering what you ALL all-grain guys use for your mashes. I'm partial mashing in a cooler (due to my current lack of space) and then extract/boiling. My mash is single infusion and I've been noticing my beers have a bit more residual sweetness and chill haze than I would like. I'm moving to all-grain this summer and want to see if switching to Step-mashing is the prefered method.

What do you guys use? What do you recommend?
-Ben

Decoction. It's the only way to fly.

Cheesefood said:
Decoction. It's the only way to fly.

Care to explain why, Cheese? Just so I'm sure that you're not post whoring or trying to stir things up.

I've done all three methods and for simplicity, you can't beat single infusion. That being said, I'll probably decoct again at some point, but only as a method of step mashing. According to Dude, this is not decocting at all but some other form of brewing which does not require one to eat crow-pie while doing so.

Depends what I'm brewing. I'll do a step, or more likely, a decoction, with a Bock or Oktoberfest, but I'll do single infusion with a Brown ale or American Amber.

I use them all. So far I've actually accomplished single infusion and step mashes, but a decoction recipe is in the works.

I think they all have merit, it just depends on the type of malt you use, the style you're after, and the capabilities of your equipment.

It depends on the style and the ingredients. If you were doing an APA I'd say single infusion. If you were doing a wheat beer, maybe step. If you're trying to do a German Bock with undermodified malt, decoct it.

If you are going all grain it is time to realize that there are different methods that work best for different beers (except for post whores). I rarely use anything except single infusions, because I don't make the styles that would benefit from other methods. I will probably never make a wheat, just as I'm not likely to make a Belgian.

I only do PM so a single is all I need ( if I don;t screw that up) I could see where step mashing would be good.... depending if you want to "rest" for any
reasion!

SkaBoneBenny said:
Why is it that Wheats, among other styles, benefit from step-mashing?
-Ben

Conversion of the starches in wheat. Wheat benefits greatly from a protein rest. You'll get more fermentables out of it. You don't need to worry about it unless your grain bill has a substantial amount of wheat.

I'm decocting my pilsner right now as we speak.

9 lbs of german pils
.5 lbs 10L Crystal (LHBS didn't have carapils... grrrr).
White Labs Pilsner yeast

20 qts, 30 mins @100F,
decoct 10qts, 45 mins @152F
Boil, add hops

2oz saaz (60)
1oz saaz (30)
1oz saaz (0)
1oz saaz dryhop in secondary

So one day, on my first AG batch, I'm sitting there heating up water with the turkey fryer, trying to hit my mash temp and it occurs to me... since I have to heat stuff anyway, why not let it be wort rather than plain water?

I've used all three, but I'm not so sure that there's all that much to be gained decocting? or should I say that it makes a lot of differance or enough differance for the amount of hassle it is?:mug:

As of now, I can claim that I have done single infusions AND step mashes. Completed a very successful step mash with my new steam infusion mash system in my cooler MLT! (See signature for details.) My hefe-weizen is almost done boiling, and will chill and rack soon. The step mash was very easy, and I will definitely do it again.

Just wanted to add there was a NOTICEABLE color difference between the decocted first runnings from my MLT and my second runnings. Without question, decocting is going to give my pilsner that nice golden color. As for flavor... that remains to be seen, but I will say this....

I drank some of the unfermented wort after taking the SG.... and that unfinished wort from the decocted Pilsner tasted more like beer than any other wort I ever smelled. I also noticed some bitterness from the tannins though, so how it turns out remains to be seen....

Back