Another Hop Pellet Question!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a whole leaf / plug kinda guy however I ended up having to use pellets on my last batch. I was left w/ more than an inch of green trub at the bottom of my carboy. Fermentation kicked in and I'm getting more of a vegetation aroma from my carboy. I don't know if this is in my head or I'm just smelling really immature "yeast farts" since it's only been 8 hrs. Whats the scoop? Thanks

Alex.

Do you strain your wort somehow on its way to the primary vessel? If you brewed with pellets and didn't strain your wort, then most assuredly more hops material got into your primary than it would have if you used whole hops. Which could account for the "vegetation" aroma. Not sure about farts, but since the carboy is expelling CO2 from the wort, anything in that wort is going to contribute some amount of odor to the airlock offgassing.

I did strain the whole thing but the strainer kept clogging. I kinda figured it out by retracing my steps. I always go too fast from cooled wort to getting it in the carboy. I need to slow down and clean the strainer every time it gets clogged. I scrape the sides w/ a spatula but I think thats just pushing the hops through and into the carboy. By "yeast fart" I meant the airlock bubbling away. Bloop... bloop...bloop. Thanks for the reply.

Back