RIS Fermentation Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkocher13

Reaction score
I brewed a "Rock" RIS this past weekend. I pitched yeast at 70 and I had vigourous fermentation for about 4 days. Definitely needed the blowoff tube. Since vigourous fermentation has ceased the temp of the of the beer has gone down significantly. I'm between 55-60 degrees. I have an old farmhouse basement and it generally stays that cool. Am I alright at that temp or should I bring it back to 70 degrees for the rest of the fermentation process? I was going to primary for 2 weeks and then secondary for 1 + months before bottling. I just want to make sure I don't get any off flavors from the low fermentation temp.

1st 70 degrees is that ambient or the temp of the liquid?
2nd What yeast did you use?
3rd Do you have a hydrometer?

70 degrees is the liquid temp
I used S-04
and yes I have a hydrometer.

I just want to make sure I don't get any off flavors from the low fermentation temp.

Since primary fermentation is mostly over, you really don't have anything to worry about...BUT just so you know, too high of temperatures are usually the culprit for off-flavors.

You should be fine as is; however, it might just take a little longer to "clean-up".

That was the main thing I was worried about, I kept the liquid between 70-72 the entire time the past 4 days. S-o4 recommended 68-74 I should be spot on. also when I say liquid temp was 70, that was the reading on the side of my carboy from the stick on thermometer. Ambient temp was probably 58. This was my first RIS. I just want it to come out alright.

You should be fine, though the lower temps after the initial fermentation may cause it to slow down. I would give it a extra week or two in the primary.

Back