First AG - Wanted 5 gallons, but only got 4 gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

argyle

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just did my first all grain brew. Easier than I expected it to be. I think I may have a slight problem. I wanted 5 gallons but only got 4.25.

My recipe is the Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout from the book Clone Brews. I started my boil with 6.0 gallons (I know I should have started with more) and boiled vigorously for 90 minutes.

When I cooled my wort, I ended up with 3 gallons and an S.G. of 1.7. I added about 1.25 gallons of water. I mixed a few times, let it sit, and retook my gravity reading. It was around 1.50. My target O.G. was 1.49. So I pitched my yeast.

Now, I'm wondering, should I have added enough water to get to 5 gallons and lowered my gravity further? Or did I do the right thing by staying at less volume, but right gravity?

Any suggestions or remedies for future success?

By the way, the wort tastes delicious.

it looks like you boiled a little more vigorously than you needed to. you want to boil off about 15% and it looks like you had an evap rate of 50%

Yeah... I was startled by how much wort evaporated. I was told to boil vigorously... but I boiled it like a champ.

If you over boil and overshoot your OG, just top it off with a gallon jug of bottled water. I've done it before. It works just fine.

I used water from my tap. My water tastes pretty good so, I don't need to worry about bad flavors from my water.

I used water from my tap. My water tastes pretty good so, I don't need to worry about bad flavors from my water.

Did you boil it first? If not, that can add nasties to your should be "clean" boiled wort. If you're having to add gallons of water, I wouldn't recommend using just plain ol tap water unless you've boiled and cooled it.

Just count this as a learning experience and turn down the propane a bit next time and allow for 15% evaporation per hour.

Your topping off with tap water most likely won't hurt anything, but there is a small risk of introducing some nasties, having not boiled it. It'll probably be just fine, though.

Back