Ale Yeast That Works Like Lager Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
What are some examples of dry ale yeasts that produce lager-like beer, even when fermented at ale temps?

US-05 seems to be one, at least to me. Pretty low in esters and other "ale like" flavors.

What are some examples of dry ale yeasts that produce lager-like beer, even when fermented at ale temps?

US-05 seems to be one, at least to me. Pretty low in esters and other "ale like" flavors.

I don't know about US-05, but Nottingham can ferment at pretty low temperatures for an ale; somewhere around 58-60F. Also, I'd give any Kolsch yeast a try as well. It's a very clean fermenting yeast which has low ester production and ferments at low temperatures. I've always used the Wyeast Kolsch, but it IS a liquid yeast and therefore more expensive than a dry yeast packet.

I just racked a Dead Guy clone that fermented in the high 40's and low 50's using Pacman yeast I cultured. I don't know what it tastes like yet but I got 77% attenuation based on refractometer tests. It's still going a little bit too but I think it's mostly CO2 gassing off at this point. I did taste a tiny sample from the pipette and it seemed pretty dry considering it starting with an OG of 1.082 (I threw in a pound of candi sugar to make it hi octane).

US-05 seems to be the most forgiving one I've used, did a brew last fall that I'm sure stayed a bit over 70 and it tasted fine. Nottingham has a good reputation but I haven't tried it over 65 or so.

Back