2 of 3 bines wilting, look like dying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenleaf

Reaction score
So I planted my hops in april, cascade and magnum. The magnum died only about two weeks after sprouting. Mind you I live in FL. My cascade sprouts shot right up and have been holding steady at about 11ft for the past week or so. I have had cone development at the top of one of the bines for about three weeks with about four hop cones about 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch each, and there are many other's starting to develop. Today I went to check the plants and 2 of the 3 bines leaves are wilted all the way up. We have had serious rain every day for the past few weeks and at inspection of the soil, it is moist. Have my hops been killed by overwatering?

Sounds like it to me. I had that occur on my first year and was able to save 3 of 6 plants by trenching away from the crown and hand dipping the water out.

Hops need water but they don't like to soak their feet. The term is oxygen stress, IIRC. The roots cannot get the oxygen they need and shut down.

I find it okay to give hops plenty of water but, only if you have equal drainage.

What were the signs of over watering. i'm showing some browning at the tips and edges which gradually spreads inward. It's slowly spreading upward as well.

What were the signs of over watering. i'm showing some browning at the tips and edges which gradually spreads inward. It's slowly spreading upward as well.

After the solstice the lower leaves will begin the yellow and die. I pulled four leaves off of my mature cascade today, and will probably pull four more tomorrow. I also removed a few from my first year plants. Nothing to worry about this time of year.

Back