Problem finding bulk 2-row?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnyhitch1

Reaction score
About 3-4 months ago i purchased a 50 lb sack of briess domestic 2-row for about 35 bucks (.70c/pd) from label peelers during one of there 25%off sales (thats after shipping also, the reason i moved over to AG ended up buying $200 in diff specialty malts, hops i would like as well)

Well after about 7-8 batches in that time i am now out of basemalt and looking for another bag since im the kind of person who wants the bulk and hates the pain of frequent LHBS visits.
After searching around and seeing if i could snag one on someones flat rate (go figure right) i realized that its around 55-75 for a sack now...around $1.10-1.50 per pound.

Ive been trying to get down on group buys and hopefully will soon but is this what everyone else is seeing or am i missing something.

Ive seen the other threads before but in current times how much are each of you paying for your base malt, bulk or by recipe?

I am currently part of a local group buy where the grain was shipped from NY actually down to us in VA. I got 2-row and Pilsen malts for about $.70/lb including shipping. I ordered 250 lbs of base malt! I think I'll be ok for a year or 2. :)

A group buy is the only way you are going to pay that kind of price today.

Are there any nearby breweries you can talk to? A lot of time they will sell you a bag of grain

Interesting, never thought of the idea.
I have a bunch of nanos on the island like Great south bay, blue point, greenport, and port jeff. Will be searching this week for some sacks!!

My LHBS sells bags of 2-row for right around $30. Call around to a few places?

Check for a homebrew club in your area. Most (or the good ones at least) will do at least two group grain buys a year. IMO/IME, you'll save more than the cost of membership in grain alone.

My LHBS sells bags of 2-row for right around $30. Call around to a few places?

You aren't going to find those prices on the east coast due to shipping and most 2-row is grown out west.

The cheapest you can get a 50 lb sack at a LHBS in my area is $50. Group buys are the only way to go for us East Coasters.

I tried the local brewery route to no avail and then asked my nt so local hbs about bulk grain discounts. They gave me 20% off for buying 5 sacks.

Also I'm currently going through a group buy with my HBC.

I'd say in general with bulk base malt the closer the better. Everything else in brewing can be bought from a distance at reasonable prices.

You aren't going to find those prices on the east coast due to shipping and most 2-row is grown out west.

The cheapest you can get a 50 lb sack at a LHBS in my area is $50. Group buys are the only way to go for us East Coasters.

Country malt has a site right here in Champlain NY. Do they not malt there?

Country malt has a site right here in Champlain NY. Do they not malt there?

I guess they may malt the grain in NY but if the grain is grown and shipped from the west coast the price goes up. Country Malt is where the VA homebrew clubs order our group buys.

Jayhem said:

Wow, I had no idea there was such a differential! I knew there was a reason I lived in Oregon.

It doesn't have anything to do with east coast, midwest, south or west coast. Midcountry Malts has warehouses all over the country, doesn't matter which one you buy from.

Back