sourcing some QD's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budzu

Reaction score
I'm mapping out my single tier brew system, and have been debating qd's and tri-clamps. I'm loving the idea of using qd's, and have been trying to find good cheap SS options.
I've found a site which has some amazing prices for camlocks. Do these look like good candidates? I'm hoping some people here have good experience with them. These are ready to go and hook up with 1/2" hoses, MPT or FPT, am I correct? I'm thinking type B's for all the females on the vessels and march pumps, and all type E's with hose clamps on transfer hoses.
Pro Flow Dynamics

Thanks for any advice and cheers!

Wow, thank you Derrin those look great! And at a great price.

Another thing I'm curious about is the mechanics of the camlock. What moving parts are involved, if its ball-lock, does it use a gasket, etc.

Open up that Brewers Hardware site and take a look at that barb fitting on the left, that thing looks rather ugly with all those holes and cracks for the nasties to nest in. That is the worse example I have seen from any manufactured item that want their products photo advertised for all to see.
A rather poor product photo, a total turnoff looking at what they have to offer.

BrewBeemer can be a bit harsh... but he means well.

I too have some concerns about those fittings. Are the ones you ship out the same?

I love supporting Derrin and Brewershardware.com but I am not sure these fittings are your best work.

What about polishing those faces flat?

I get my tri-clamps from KLG Stainless on Ebay. Kevin is the owner and will give you good pricing on bulk orders.

Thanks for the input guys. I agree that the photos are not good. But there are no nooks, crannies or pits nor is the bead piled up like it looks, they just photograph that way because of the polishing. I probably need to get some professional photos taken of them. I've taken about 30 different images from every distance imaginable, with and without the flash and trying to diffuse the flash, but they keep picking up reflections and highlights. I'll try reshooting them again.

With any of my products if anyone purchases them and doesn't like them or feels the quality is poor I'll happily refund your purchase price including the original shipping.

Kabouter, I'm designing my system with your DITCHES builds in mind, they look excellent and very well planned. I'm trying to cut costs down where I can without sacrificing too much in the way of cleanliness or quality of material, and connects is one place.
Let me get this thread back on track, I'm still curious about the effectiveness/cleanliness of Camlocks.

Thanks all

You're link wasn't working earlier, but it just did...

Cam-locks are fine to use. I didn't use them because I could not find a reasonable source.

My only concern is that I don't know what the codes mean. If those are hose barbs and NPT threaded couplings I would say that looks like a great way to go.

Those are awesome! I wish they had more info on the site that defined each "Type."

I would go with the female couplers on my hoses and males on the kettles just to be sure that locking those levers back won't hit the ball valves or pump housings when you lock them down. Like use the Type A couplers on your pumps, Type C's on your hoses and Type F's on your kettles. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the link!

Type A adapter - male lock with Female Pipe Thread
Type B coupler - female lock with Male Pipe Thread
Type C coupler - female with male hose barb
Type D coupler - female with FPT
Type E adapter - male with hose barb
Type F adapter - male with MPT

Not a big fan of camlocks, you need 2 hands to operate and being metal that means gloves when hot. I have one plastic one on a fermenter and it is a bit of a pain. The pricing however is so good that I would consider using them if I was leaving the hoses in place during the brew session.

i can't really tell, but do those shutoff when disconnected? for that matter, do the stainless disconnects from morebeer?

Not a big fan of camlocks, you need 2 hands to operate and being metal that means gloves when hot. I have one plastic one on a fermenter and it is a bit of a pain. The pricing however is so good that I would consider using them if I was leaving the hoses in place during the brew session.

Sounds like those are the same difficulties you would face with tri-clamps as well. The heat and the two-hand requirement.

i can't really tell, but do those shutoff when disconnected? for that matter, do the stainless disconnects from morebeer?

This would be good to know.. unfortunately I don't. I do know that tri-clamps shutoff. however this may not be an issue because i'll be using ball valves on most connections. Dealing with the fluid in the hose shouldn't be so much of a problem, just adjusting technique.

I do know that tri-clamps shutoff.

The More-Beer QD's do not auto-shut-off, nor do tri-clover fittings, and I would bet that neither do the camlocks pictured. They would be special fittings and labeled as such if they did.

I do not have a problem with connecting my tri's and it is about the same amount of work as a camlock. They are easy to use and very solid connections.

These are the ones I plan on useing. (hope the link works)

ST Series Couplers w/HOSE BARB
ST Series Nipples w/HOSE BARB

http://www.ppe.com/10cat/0411.pdf

Yes they are brass but that does not bother me. One piece bodies, a lot like the More Beer ones (may even work with them), made in the US and holds up well. Use the 3/4 size at work and love them. Very durable. About $11.00 per set plus shipping.

At this point I'm pretty sold on camlocks, and besides the relative effectiveness and affordability, how cool do those things look? too cool for school daddio. I've got a real blingin system in my head now.

727_xlg.jpg

Wow! Those are pretty dang cool! No one will know if you're making beer or fueling an aircraft, LOL.

FWIW, I replaced the images of the TC Fittings on my website. Thanks to the constructive criticism I've made them a little nicer and took some better photos. The MPT fitting is now made from a hex nipple so you can use a wrench to tighten it.

Tri Clover Quick Connects from Brewer's Hardware

You have some nice stuff there for sure. I'll probably be coming to you for probes and wells when I am able to build my system, it is totally planned out and just waiting a couple months on funds. If camlocks don't work out I'll also have a good place to get tri-clovers.

Cheers all!

Well done Budzu, good find.

Derrin- that is more like what I expect from your products! I will be tempted by your Tri's next time I am buying some.....

Derrin's other product are top notch and I absolutely vouch for them.

Budzu,
I built a brutus 1o single tier machine. I went to overbrook brewery (clicked on bobbys stuff) and looked at bobbyM's QD's on his rig. He has a video on his site which shows him using his quick disconnects. One hand while holding the camera. They also have high temp o-rings in them. He gives the part number which is from Mcmaster Carr. I ordered them using his numbers and they work awesome. They are always open so you just have to turn you ball valve off or stop your pump when you disconnect and move plumbing around. Also, they are brass which has not affected my brewing at all. McMaster carr is easy to buy from and they are quick on delivery! Tri clamps seem like they would be such a hassle on a small system with flexible tubing.. But then again if the plumbing is fixed and rigid I could see the value of tri clamps. I can't believe BobbyM hasn't piped in here to help you. snake10

BrutusTenBA.jpg

Hi snake, yeah I've studied Bobby M's build a good bit, got several ideas from it that I will be implementing. The high temp o-rings is a good point.. I may have to write to pro-flow to find out how and what kind of seals are used.
And all the plumbing in my system will be soft, so those elbow connectors are tempting. If I go with straight connectors like the camlocks, I will have to get more rigid tubing I guess.
Anyone know what is the most rigid hi-temp tubing that still has some translucency/transparency?

Anyone know what is the most rigid hi-temp tubing that still has some translucency/transparency?

Silicone Rubber Tubing, 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD x 1/8" Wall Thickness 25' Length works well on my set up. Only time it kinked is if I try a long vertical run with a sharp bend which I have eliminated from my process. You will find many people using this hose. I bought it from Amazon/Small parts but they seem to be out of stock. Same stuff as Morebeer and several other sources.

I just received my order of these. 15 male and 6 female for various places on the rig. All 1/2". They are very, very nice. I look forward to my first brew with them!

Very nice! When you get them mounted, test them for leaks while wiggling the connections, let us know how they work. Maybe pics if you can manage, it'd be hugely appreciated!

Cheers

Poobah58,

I'm also on the fence on which way to go with my QDs / Tri-Clover / these CamLocks or stick with my garden hose adaptors with high-temp o-rings. I'm curious as to which QDs you had issues with sucking in air. Were they the McMaster ones that part numbers 6739K59 and 6739K64 or some other type that you tried.

Phillc / Budzu

Either of you end up using / happy with the Cam Locks? They sure seem like a valid option. (And CHEAP!)

Brew On...

Either of you end up using / happy with the Cam Locks? They sure seem like a valid option. (And CHEAP!)

Brew On...

I haven't gotten my camlocks yet... I will be ordering in November most likely. I have first to finish designing and building the electric portion of my rig, then the liquid hardware will be taken care of. I totally plan to go with camlocks unless someone has some reason I shouldn't. I will surely update when I have some in my hands.

Cheers brew bros.

Anyone had luck finding quick disconnects like Bobby has in his photo (that Snake10 posted) but in Stainless? We'd prefer to use Stainless - and although the Tri Clover's look pretty slick - just thinking the standard QDs would be better.

Not cheap for sure but worth it in my opinion. I slowly accumulated all the QDs that I needed over about 4-5 orders and couldn't be more happy with them.

I would be curious to know what makes them so superior. I'll admit that stainless fittings look nicer on a shiny stainless pot. But once brass ones are pickled and cleaned up, I don't see much difference between the two.

I would be curious to know what makes them so superior. I'll admit that stainless fittings look nicer on a shiny stainless pot. But once brass ones are pickled and cleaned up, I don't see much difference between the two.

The earlier posts were talking about sourcing stainless fittings.

I'm sure there are fine brass QDs as well; my only experience has been with the garden hose brass QDs from Home Depot and I haven't been impressed. I've have however noticed the quality on the garden hose QDs varies greatly; I have two different brands where one is as light as plastic and the other is quite hefty in comparison.

Previously I was messing around with clamps so the QDs (stainless or otherwise) were a great addition for me.

Full 1/2" flow capability and full compatibility with 1/2" NPT. The brass coolant QD's are 3/8" flow and have limited amount of adapter options.

I got 2 sets of stainless male and female camlocks to test with my march pump. They will arrive early next week most likely(shipped from UK). These are VERY cheap compared to every other option I've seen, so I'm hoping for good quality. I'll have pics and post about the testing.
Even camlocks on other sites are 30 dollars or more for just one stainless coupling.
And the brass QD's mentioned right above are more pricey even.
More exciting even: my rig is getting close ...

Back