Cleaning / Painting a Rusty Burner and Stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jewrican

Reaction score
I just bought an older 2 pot burner stand with burners. It was left outside for a little bit and is now all rusted. What can I use to clean it and then possibly paint it?

Do I need to sand it down? If so, with what? I have a dremel with the wire brush attachment but i think that will gaugue it too much....

What do you think. I cant brew on something that looks so rusted and terrible :)

I spent a fair amount of time and four wire brush attachments getting the rust off of this thing... and I am still not done.. close but definately not done. Some parts i will not be able to get to either :(

Now that I have all of the pieces of steel brush our of my feet and rest of my body I will need to go to Home Depot and pick up some more and do it all over again and then paint.

Thanks for the idea. It seems to be working very well!

Electrolysis!!

Get a large bucket that you can submerge the whole stand and/or burner. Add 1 tblsp. of PH Plus (sodium carbonate--Walmart pool section) or powdered Red Devil Lye per gallon of water. Add some scrap steel or iron to the bucket, just don't touch your parts-to-be cleaned to the scrap. Hook the + terminal of a battery charger to the scrap steel, and the - to the parts you want cleaned. Plug in the charger and leave it alone for a few hours. It should bubble like crazy, and hours later, when you pull the parts out, they will most likely will have some black slime on them. This will come right off with a light steel brush scrubbing under fresh water. You will have clean steel/iron which will need a coating (paint) immediately. Very little elbow grease involved.

Latest posts

Back