Moral Dilemma?............nah

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BleedsDogFish

Reaction score
Whilst being in college I am forced to work for tips, which many of you have I'm sure. I am a bartender at Buffalo Wild Wings(please don't reply about the service, I know.) Anywho, I am forced to serve copious amounts of BMC to a bunch of Larry the cable guys looking *****ebags. Don't get me wrong, i have some great customers who drink BMC, and I make my living off those guys. Tonight for example the Miller Lite girls came in and did a promo, they open a tab order 20 or 30 beers give them away and leave. Even someone who is drinking a guiness will take a free beer(I wouldnt)
I close there tab after about 10 minutes and get a 30 dollar tip, on 70 dollar tab. For the briefest moment I felt weird about the amount of trash I talk about BMC, becuase I make a good chunk of my living off them. Then I say F*** it...............Suckers! Sorry for the rant, I made several hundred dollar tonight and thought it was funny.:rockin:

MikeFlynn74 said:
Naw- People like what they like. If you can make $ off of it then who the hell cares!

Yup... You can't dictate taste, but you can profit from other people's lack there of.

BTW, I still drink bud light, PBR, miller, etc. during the summer and whenever the mood strikes me:D

You're not forcing anyone to drink it, so no moral dilemna at all, esp not with a tip like that. :)

And more people want to drink stuff like htat, less likely bar is going to run out of what I like. One of my old regular bars used to have trouble keeping Paroni in stock, and there were only three of us regulraly drinking it. Forced me to try a lot of new (and some very good) beers, but was frustrating to not get what I wanted. Anything that lessens chance of that happening is a good thing in my book.

BleedsDogFish said:
Even someone who is drinking a guiness will take a free beer(I wouldnt)

No, I was given 3 free pitchers of miller high life last night. I was like who the **** is this for? I'm not going to drink it.

Hey, I made a living off of Windows users for over a decade. Doesn't mean I use it or like it.

When was the last time a bunch of SN girls bought you a beer?

david_42 said:

+1 - ya know?

Although, the cellar guy at the brewpub near me used to bring me all kinds of stuff that they made. A glass of RIS aged in a Maker's Mark barrel (1st run,) anytime a new beer was on - and not a taster but a pint or proper size for style. But that wasn't promotion, just beer talk.

I have never understood the need for bashing nor the hatred for big business. Sure I may not care for a certain product but that doesn't mean I have to bash the entire comglomeration because they don't suite MY taste.

I don't care for Coke. Big Deal.

The point I am making here is that macro, regardless of marketing and product lineup, still employs thousands of people nationwide. For macro to go away would be similar to Ford ceasing production and closing their plants nationwide.

My irony is that, if it weren't for homebrewing I'd still dislike most macro beers based on flavor alone. But thanks to HB, I have come to appreciate the subtlety of what it takes to make them.

MikeFlynn74 said:
Then you have the wrong dealer....

what?

Ha. It's an analogy. Coke being the "Macro Brewer" of the soda world. Of whose business practice is probly even more controversial than any megaswill enterprise.

Not to hyjack - but since I've been working at the liquor store part-time, I have experienced several moral dilemmas. You won't have to deal with too many raging alcoholics where you work, because they don't eat. Its morally tough to sell to some of these people...

Soulive said:
Not to hyjack - but since I've been working at the liquor store part-time, I have experienced several moral dilemmas. You won't have to deal with too many raging alcoholics where you work, because they don't eat. Its morally tough to sell to some of these people...

So then you shouldn't. It's fairly given that an establishment selling alcohol has an absolute right of refusal. Meaning, you don't have to sell to anyone you don't want to, regardless.

srm775 said:
So then you shouldn't. It's fairly given that an establishment selling alcohol has an absolute right of refusal. Meaning, you don't have to sell to anyone you don't want to, regardless.

I avoid serving people that I don't feel comfortable serving, but I'm not going to my employer and telling them I'm turning business away because I feel bad. Right of refusal is fine when the customer is noticeably drunk, but these people don't show signs of intoxication. I hear what you're saying, but I also need to keep my job...

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
Silly people saying no to free beer.
Please deposit you testicles in the bin. Thank you.

That's crap. Call me a beer snob, whatever. I can't drink BMC. What good does free do me if I can't stomach it?

People like what they like. People may not know any better either. *IMO*, BMC etc, is crap. It's not good for free, it's not good for cheap, it's not good in the summer when I don't want to be "full". It serves *me* no purpose. I'd rather buy a $5 pint of Sam Adams than get a free pitcher of BMC.

For those who like/love/live for BMC, good for them. The part of NJ I'm from is synonymous for it.

Also, SN doesn't need to send girls around to pimp their beer. The taste speaks for itself.

Back on topic... I don't think you should feel bad. People like what they like...

david_42 said:
Hey, I made a living off of Windows users for over a decade. Doesn't mean I use it or like it.

I can't help trying to picture a bunch of SN girls.

If they're Chico State chicks, then they're going to be one type of girl, and if they're Chico locals they're going to be another, the latter likely having unshaven pits...;)

Back