Late extract addition questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenleaf

Reaction score
So I am brewing an all extract imperial wit today and I want to keep it light in color. There is a little DME and Honey and the rest is Wheat LME. I was wondering what people thought about boiling the .5 lbs of DME, 3 lbs of Wheat, and the honey for the entire boil and then adding the other 6 lbs of wheat at 15 min?

Is honey only supposed to be a late addition or can you boil it for the full 60? Benefits or drawbacks?

Thanks!

What size is your pot? And how much honey are you talking about?

You can boil the honey for 60 mins. The honey flavor will disappear, which is not a bad thing, and it's 100% fermentable.

I've heard of some people just pasteurizing their honey for 15 mins at 160F and others boiling for 15 mins. I boil. When boiling you'll have to skim the proteins off the top of the water then add it to the boil pot at the end of the boil.

I am doing a full boil in a 7.5 gal pot. Starting with 6gal of water. This is my recipie

John Greenleaf Wittbier

Beer: John Greenleaf Wittbier Style: Belgian White (Wit)
Type: Extract w/grain Size: 5 gallons
Color: 5 HCU (~5 SRM)

Bitterness: 23 IBU
OG: 1.085 FG: 1.010
Alcohol: 9.7% v/v (7.6% w/w)
Boil: SG 1.071 6 gallons
1 lb. Light dry malt extract
9.15 lb. Wheat extract
1 lb. Honey
Hops: .5 oz. Styrian Goldings (8% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Saaz (aroma)
Spice: 1 oz. Corriander Seed
2 g. Paradise Seed
Yeast: WYeast 3463 Forbidden Fruit

Back