Low Gravity Brewers Unite!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
klnosaj said:
I'm almost exclusively a Low G brewer myself. Rarely do I make something above 5.5% abv/1.050 og. Discovering English beers has been a revelation. I hadn't realized just how delicious 4.2% abv could be!

This was my impetus for starting the thread. I am really excited to start brewing some Scottish 60s and 70s.

Bump

I'm excited about LG beers as well since I love to drink them, but can't always afford (not money wise, but other reasons, like life) to get hammered with several HG beers.

Anyone have some recipes? I was eager to try the NB dry dock pro series list for the SS minnow mild.

I am brewing Eagle Rock Solidarity Clone right now. It smells amazing in the kettle! Roasty and delicious. Can't wait to get it into bottles. Here is my mash:

IMAG0735.jpg

I've never brewed anything yet under 5%abv but I feel that 5% is the sweet spot for me, I can drink several of them without feeling buzzed and 5% beers that finish around 1.010 have plenty of taste! My favorite beer to date has been my American Pale Ale that clocked in at 5.2% abv with 38 IBU's.

My next brew will be a sweet brown ale OG: 1.045 mashed at 157F.

I've never brewed anything yet under 5%abv but I feel that 5% is the sweet spot for me, I can drink several of them without feeling buzzed and 5% beers that finish around 1.010 have plenty of taste! My favorite beer to date has been my American Pale Ale that clocked in at 5.2% abv with 38 IBU's.

My next brew will be a sweet brown ale OG: 1.045 mashed at 157F.

I have a session brown I make in that exact OG range. And I love it.

I do 1 gallon batches, but this dead simple recipe makes a simple, northern style english brown that works great for after work beers. I should note though that you'll get the flowery esters and diacetyl the style is known for with this recipe, unless you ferment cool in the yeast range.

1.3 lbs MO pale
.25 lbs 40L caramel
.10 lbs British Chocolate
3 tbsp. Brown Sugar
(~.25 oz) Fuggles for bittering
(~.25 oz)UKG for Aroma 10 minutes before boil end.
156 deg. single infusion mash for 45 min.
Batch Sparge @ 168 deg.
60 minute boil.
Burton Ale Yeast.
And I use Burton Salts in filtered water for my mash.

I have a session brown I make in that exact OG range. And I love it.

I do 1 gallon batches, but this dead simple recipe makes a simple, northern style english brown that works great for after work beers. I should note though that you'll get the flowery esters and diacetyl the style is known for with this recipe, unless you ferment cool in the yeast range.

1.3 lbs MO pale
.25 lbs 40L caramel
.10 lbs British Chocolate
3 tbsp. Brown Sugar
(~.25 oz) Fuggles for bittering
(~.25 oz)UKG for Aroma 10 minutes before boil end.
156 deg. single infusion mash for 45 min.
Batch Sparge @ 168 deg.
60 minute boil.
Burton Ale Yeast.
And I use Burton Salts in filtered water for my mash.

Sounds tasty. Do you find that mashing at 156F yields a sweeter beer? that's what I'm going for with mine to get something similar to New Castle in sweetness.

Not only do I like session beers, but I thinking brewing them makes me a better brewer. It seems that sometimes a super malty or super hoppy beer can hide flaws. I've found that be dialing in my session beers to have no flaw, then I am able to step up the abv and brew a larger beer of that style without flaw as well. Session beers help me hone my brewing skills.

Lol last weekend I brewed a 9.5% "session" beer for my friend. He's a big boy and likes em strong. Myself on the other hand, I'm brewing a 4.8% epa next weekend. I typically stick in the 5-6% range.

About 50% of what I make ranges from 1.035-1.050 as the water isn't safe to drink around here. 10% (about 1-2 times a year) goes towards IPA, dry stout, or Robust Porter. The rest goes towards mead. ;)

Sounds tasty. Do you find that mashing at 156F yields a sweeter beer? that's what I'm going for with mine to get something similar to New Castle in sweetness.

Yep. The original idea was to clone Newcastle in fact. Possible issues so far have been an overpowering nut aftertaste if your ferment gets off, but it will dissipate as the beer ages. Other issues are it isn't as sweet as newcastle, and has a much more malty roast kind of thing going on, but I like it. Also mouthfeel can get off and I need to add some flaked oats or something to fix that, but haven't had the chance yet.

Back