My First Batch/Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crum

Reaction score
I just opened my first bottle of my first batch. Wow!! :D I can’t believe I have been missing this, what a nice flavor that homemade beer has. The batch was made from a kit, Coopers Pale Ale. Tomorrow I am going to start my own recipe and see how that turns out. Any advice?

The only part I found odd was the amount of sediment on the bottom of the bottles. I think this had more to do with not racking it a second fermentor and going straight to the bottles. There was about ½ inch of sediment in every bottle after pouring. Hopefully it does not hurt you because I got a little in my glass.

Thanks for all the advice I have read on this forum to help me get here.

Yes, racking to a secondary will dramatically lessen the bottle sediment. I get a real small layer (1/16" maybe) in the bottles if I let it settle in the carboy for 14 days. Clearer beer as well.

Pour slowly from those current bottles and leave a bit of beer in the bottle to avoid getting it in the glass. Glad the taste appeals to you.

crum said:
I just opened my first bottle of my first batch. Wow!! :D I can’t believe I have been missing this, what a nice flavor that homemade beer has. The batch was made from a kit, Coopers Pale Ale. Tomorrow I am going to start my own recipe and see how that turns out. Any advice?

The only part I found odd was the amount of sediment on the bottom of the bottles. I think this had more to do with not racking it a second fermentor and going straight to the bottles. There was about ½ inch of sediment in every bottle after pouring. Hopefully it does not hurt you because I got a little in my glass.

Thanks for all the advice I have read on this forum to help me get here.

It depends on the yeast, but the better quality ones will settle nice and firm in the bottle and shouldn't get too stirred up when you pour.

How long did you ferment it for? Sounds like you could have done with a bit more time in the fermenter before bottling (and/or racking to secondary fermenter for a while).

I just had my first bottle of batch #1 today. I was pleasantly suprised with the carbonation and creamy head. It didn't ferment long, and I bottled in a week, so I thought it wouldn't turn out. Taste is....decent...a little too sweet, maybe, and too....something. A bit of harsh bitterness, maybe. Hopefuly aging in the bottle will clean up the flavor. This is fun!

The sediment is toxic... Don't Drink it!!! Just Joking.. I was able to keep alot of it out of the bottles by attaching a 1 inch length of a plastic straw to the end of a siphon hose. so your sucking out the good stuff out of the fermenter and not the dirt. I think the sediment gave me the runs, and to me, that can be toxic. I think Coopers is the best of the extracts. Them Aussies know their stuff. Try mixing in a DME with the mix, or some unhopped extracts to create your own style.

ChrisKoivu said:
The sediment is toxic... Don't Drink it!!! Just Joking.. I was able to keep alot of it out of the bottles by attaching a 1 inch length of a plastic straw to the end of a siphon hose. so your sucking out the good stuff out of the fermenter and not the dirt. I think the sediment gave me the runs, and to me, that can be toxic. I think Coopers is the best of the extracts. Them Aussies know their stuff. Try mixing in a DME with the mix, or some unhopped extracts to create your own style.

Only problem is we export all the good stuff over to you guys and they sell all the cheap stuff in the supermarket.

Secondary racking as well as not sucking the bottom of the fermentor when transfering it will do the trick. I also add a couple table spoons of Irish Moss at the last 15 min of the boil, this helps coagulate everything suspended in the beer after fermentation.

Most of my beers I can see through without any problem.

Back