Using US-05 and it has brown slimy stuff on krausen. Is that yeast that got stuck....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be yeast, could be hop residue, could be trub. I doubt it's an issue, but post a picture if you're really worried.

It looks similar to this and it's in splotches across the top.

Mo%27+Betta+Bretta.jpg

It is yeast. Don't worry about it. Rack under it and all will be good. 05 is very similar to Kolsch yeast. Kolsch yeast is sticky and gooey but it rocks.

Thanks for the reply's. Everything is better than great. Just checked on it and krausen is blowing out of the dry lock.:rockin:
Even with foam control

Yup I have a 2L starter going right now with S-05 and the top is covered with yeast.. it's also stuck to the sides. I'm pitching this bad boy in a few hours so i'll use a sanitized spoon to scrape it of the sides so I get all the yeasties in my wort! :rockin:

About 3 years late to the party here, but I had the same issue with us-05, I have used saf-04, saf33 and nottingham before, and they all looked slightly different, but all more foamy and less viscous and "slimy" looking.

Back