Kettle sizes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeysweet

Reaction score
Rookie question. If I have a 20 gallon kettle and a 40 gallon kettle..which one do I use for the mash and which one for the boil?

Got it. Ok an even more rook'ier' question. Will I be limited to 20 gallon batches of beer?

Hi lou2row
No they are 20 n 40 gals. I make a condiment for honey glazed hams and a bbq sauce but I am bored. Seems all I basically need to do is add a fermenter and I can brew beer?

The smaller pot will limit you either way. I wouldn't expect you to be able to make a 5+% beer much larger than 20 finished gallons with a 20 gallon mash.

Thanks Frustr8ed. Thats what I figured but thought maybe there would be a way to mash two batches back to back into the 40 gal boil kettle.

Thanks Frustr8ed. Thats what I figured but thought maybe there would be a way to mash two batches back to back into the 40 gal boil kettle.
No reason you can't do this. Mash twice and collect into the 40gal. Although for boil over reasons I wouldn't do much more then 30-35gal in the 40 gal pot.

Hi lou2row
No they are 20 n 40 gals. I make a condiment for honey glazed hams and a bbq sauce but I am bored. Seems all I basically need to do is add a fermenter and I can brew beer?

You're essentially right, but also be sure to think about how you are going to cool 20 or 40 gallons of wort after the boil. I doubt that an immersion chiller would be effective with that much volume, so you'll need a counterflow chiller, as well as some method to get the wort from the kettle into the chiller.

Back