What the heck, everyone is talking about Ed Worts' Apflewein...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billc68

Reaction score
So I decided why not? and made my own variation.
Opinions are welcome, How do you think it will turn out?

So to start I am in Canada so I am making 6 US gallons or 5 IMP Gallons. AlI I could find at a reasonable price was Apple Juice with Vitamin C (so it will be good for me too!)
Here is what I did:
I boiled 6L of apple Juice with a small handful of cinnamon sticks and some nutmeg, then cooled and mixed with the rest of my apple juice to make 23L, I tossed the Cinnamon sticks in the primary and added about a half pound or so of dextrose (whatever I had left over) and 1KG (2.2lbs) of brown sugar. I had an OG of 1.069 or a potential of 9% ABV.

Well, I have never really had cider of any kind, but what the heck...

We'll see I guess.

Might want to taste it every few days until the cinnamon flavor is just right, 'cause it has a tendency to get overpowering. Looks tasty though!

Might want to taste it every few days until the cinnamon flavor is just right, 'cause it has a tendency to get overpowering. Looks tasty though!

Interesting... but then do what? if the cinnamon is just right, do I rack it and remove the sticks or what?
I put in more than I thought necessary assuming some of it would settle out.

if you boiled the applejuice it will be cloudy.
One stick for 5 gallons seems good to me. Whole stick. no need to boil.
You can soak it in a little vodka or something else to extract some of the flavor and sterilize... then just throw the whole mess in.

Cloves are a nice addition too. Just a few though!

I have nothing to contribute, as I'm a noob. I did start my first batch of Apfelwein on the fifteenth of this month. Just looked at it today and it's still very very gently bubbling, and starting to clear a bit.

Oh, and my associates at work have answered the call and are steadily bringing me their empty wine bottles.

Well, hopefully not too cloudy, I only boiled 6 of 23 liters

It sure smelled good, wife was ready to kill for a slice of apple pie.

Interesting... but then do what? if the cinnamon is just right, do I rack it and remove the sticks or what?
I put in more than I thought necessary assuming some of it would settle out.

Yeah - remove them somehow. Assuming they're already in there loosely, perhaps use some long chopstick sort of maneuvering or tongs or suction...? Hopefully you won't have to rack just to get 'em though.

A few ways people do it is to put whole spices (not ground) in a bag of sorts (tea bag, nylon mesh bag, hop sock, whatever) or tie a string around the cinnamon stick. Then drop it in after fermentation has slowed or during secondary until it tastes to their liking. = More cinnamon and less woody flavor. There are some related threads on this forum with good info too, if you're interested.

I think I'm going to try a cinnamon tincture with vodka, like ribbon mentioned, for my next apple wine experiment. I suspect it will extract more cinnamon flavor. (So, I'll use less cinnamon and save, like, 30¢. Wheeee.)

Yeah - remove them somehow. Assuming they're already in there loosely, perhaps use some long chopstick sort of maneuvering or tongs or suction...? Hopefully you won't have to rack just to get 'em though.

A few ways people do it is to put whole spices (not ground) in a bag of sorts (tea bag, nylon mesh bag, hop sock, whatever) or tie a string around the cinnamon stick. Then drop it in after fermentation has slowed or during secondary until it tastes to their liking. = More cinnamon and less woody flavor. There are some related threads on this forum with good info too, if you're interested.

I think I'm going to try a cinnamon tincture with vodka, like ribbon mentioned, for my next apple wine experiment. I suspect it will extract more cinnamon flavor. (So, I'll use less cinnamon and save, like, 30¢. Wheeee.)

I already racked it, no issues the airlock is still bubbling like mad and the sticks are out. I gave it a light stir before racking so no real yeast loss ( I started with a doubledose of yeast too). I figure with my little boil, all the flavour I need is in there. I may try some insinglas later as you mention the Wein may be cloudy from the boil.

I may rack it again around week 4 and try clearing it, we'll see.

Back