No Head/Krausen on primary ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ecaz

Reaction score
I just brewed a Belgian Dark Strong ale, 2 1/2 gallons boiled, 3 in the fermenter.

After about 18 hours I had about 1" or a little more of head/krausen on my beer, but I noticed that the beer was layed with the heavy wart at the bottom (I didn't get a good mix when I syphoned the wart into the water)

So, I shook the fermenter (betterbottle) until there was just one color.

The only issue is that after 8 hours, there is still no head on the fermenter. The beer is bubbling like there's an oxygen tank down there, and the airlock is going Pop, Pop, Pop, but is it normal not to have a head/krausen?

all is well, ..you mite have missed the krausen overnight, sometimes it can happen pretty quick and then it settles back into the beer, look for a ring just above the liquid level in the fermenter. you could always chk your gravity to confirm fermentation. but if you got bubbles and the airlock is makin noise your on the right track...

what kinda yeast for you belgian? i've noticed WL trappist yeast gets very little krausen, even in a strong, high OG beer. other yeasts, such as the WL london ale yeast, get a tremendous krausen. it differs strain to strain...

Back