AHS Pumpkin Ale Carbonation Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Well, I bottled my AHS Pumpkin Ale on November 20th, so it's been in the bottle for about two weeks now. I opened one a few days ago, and the carbonation level seemed fine. I opened another one tonight and it was almost flat, so I tried one more, and it had a little more carbonation, but not nearly enough. I can't imagine what might have gone wrong or if it just needs more time.

I was wondering this: My beer was in the primary for about 3 weeks, and then I very carefully racked to secondary, leaving as much yeast and trub behind. Two weeks after that when I bottled, I did the same and got virtually no sediment in the bottling bucket. Is it possible there wasn't enough yeast left in solution to fully ferment the priming sugar to carbonate?

i assume you meant October 10th? regardless, yeast being in suspension is probably not the issue. i would wait at least another week, if not 2 before opening another. there's a slight possibility that the priming solution didn't mix evenly when you bottled, or some may just be carbing quicker than others.

I have the same problem with an AHS Oktoberfest. Do people here usually stir their beer after adding the priming solution? I've never done it and this is the first time I've had carb issues.

I add half the solution, rack ha;f the beer, add the last of the solution, finish the racking

then stir gently.

usually comes out pretty even

WHen I bottle I put the priming solution (still hot) in the bottom of the bucket, then I arrange the siphon hose such that it makes the beer swirl as it goes into the bucket, that helps it mix well.

I think you may have a bit of a temperature issue, you want to keep the bottles at 70* or higher (within reason) for 3 weeks to get them to the proper carb.

I am having the same problem with my pupkin ale from ahs (not that it is their fault). I don't have my notes, I am on the road but it was in the primary for 4 weeks, and in bottle for almost 5 weeks. Some are carbed some are not.
I do the same method as conpewter, pour priming sugar in bottling bucket while hot, let the beer swirl around the bottling bucket to mix the sugar.
This is my first brew I am having carb problems with.

Back