Question about trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blindguardian

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been answered some where but,

I plan to rack to a secondary tonight and I would like to save the yeast and wash it, I just do not have the time to do it tonight, so I'm wondering if it would be alright to rack my beer tonight and leave the trub to be washed tomorrow night? Of course I would put it back into the fermenting refrigerator until the next night.

Is it alright to do this?
or
would there be any side effects to doing it this way?

thanks,
Blindguardian

Why not just rack tomorrow right before you wash your yeast? I assume you have seen the yeast washing illustrated thread. I would prepare the sterile jars and water, rack and wash all in one. It probably would not hurt to rack now, and wash later if you are very careful with sanitation and leave a small amount of beer covering the yeast, but I would do it all in one shot.

Not recommended, but if you must - leave a bit more beer behind in the primary (maybe up to an inch or so above the trub). This can be discarded (quaffed?) when your ready to wash. And, re-add the airlock, etc.

I would also make sure to use a starter with any of this yeast on future batches just to make sure it remains viable.

I guess I could just do it tomorrow, It would just have to end up being a very very long day lol that would just give the water time to cool in the refrigerator overnight anyway and be ready for tomorrow night.

I really love this forum and the people here because of the knowledge and the quick replies!

thanks for the replies

Back