My late brew adventures with my 6 yo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seigex

Reaction score
I was trying to teach my 6 year old how to brew beer, and went through a B3 Stout extract kit I had sitting around.

Started at 11pm (I work nights, so I stay up all night) and put 6 gallons of fresh water into my 7.5 gal SS pot. Well, I light up my gas on my 140,000 btu burner (like an idiot, I took the tank from my barbeque) and dropped my grain in to soak and my gas goes out.

So now, its about midnight, I call walmart (which I live next to) and they are open, but don't swap propane out after 10. So I throw my kid in my truck and drive to a gas station that fills propane, well they're closed. So I drive to a 7-11 that has propane, but the man behind the counter doesn't have the key!

So he tells me to go to another 7-11. Well, I go, and they don't sell propane. Now i'm frustrated, and go to the last place I know has it and finally swap my tank at a Shell station, for $29.70 (ouch).

Finally get back, and drop the new tank on and it lights up. Then I finally finish my back at around 3:30 in the morning. Everything else went well, and today I checked the concoction sitting in my closet (Which my wife bitched at me about, saying its smelling up the clothes) and the airlock is bubbling nicely.

Great learning experience for my kid, too bad he fell asleep right before I transferred the wert to the carboy and pitched thee yeast, the best part. Oh well, maybe next time.

Back