No more beer for me for a while.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AwesomeSquad

Reaction score
So I just brewed some what I am assuming is mega awesome beer. I just got a call for a short notice fight November 6th (MMA). I normally fight at 145 and 155 when it's short notice like this. I walk around at 170-175 and am now killing myself trying to drop 20 lbs in a week and a half. Normally this wouldn't be that big of a deal but I really really want to drink so much that I don't feel feelings, but that doesn't always work when trying to cut weight.

I'm hoping to have 10-15 celebratory beers after the fight, hopefully not to dull the pain.

20 lbs in a week and a half?? that's downright crazy man. well, at least your beer will be even better after aging longer.

how do you drop weight that fast without losing muscle and killing strength and stamina?

It sucks, it does affect my stamina. It's day before weigh ins so I cut food a ton and cut 10 lbs of water weight the day of then drink a **** load of pedialyte after weigh ins. I'm usually around 160-165 in the cage. I do feel the cardio hit though, man that sucks, there is nothing worse than being totally gassed and having some guy sitting on your chest punching you in the face.

For your own sake, I hope this was a joke or I'm reading it wrong...

Nope, actually I plan on drinking so much that beer producers panic and start drawing so much water from the oceans that it throws off the pull the moon has on the ocean and the moon goes careening off into empty space and the earth drifts into the sun.
I'll just have to wait a little bit.

Nope, actually I plan on drinking so much that beer producers panic and start drawing so much water from the oceans that it throws off the pull the moon has on the ocean and the moon goes careening off into empty space and the earth drifts into the sun.
I'll just have to wait a little bit.

Gotta love a man with ambitions!

Good luck to you. Sucks that you didn't get proper notice. If you aren't in position to turn down these fights on short notice you may want to walk around a bit lighter.

I worked with wrestlers back in grad school with a similar frame of mind. Not quite so much so fast, but similarly. A good portion of MMA fighters have a wrestling background and like everything else they take it to the extreme. It's not ideal (or healthy) to lose 20+ pounds in such a short amount of time, but these guys can do it. And at the end of the day, they get a paycheck for trying to beat the **** out of the other guy.

Good luck to you. Sucks that you didn't get proper notice. If you aren't in position to turn down these fights on short notice you may want to walk around a bit lighter.

I know, normally I try to walk around at around 160-165 but with Oktoberfest and pizza I've gotten up there. Yeah I'm not really in a position to turn down fights, I need to eat, pay rent, and brew more beer.

I actually made weight for a fight in late september but my guy pulled out as I was walking in to weigh in. That was ****ing awesome. Couldn't they tell me a little earlier when I was in the sauna?!

After I beat the **** out of this guy so bad that his family cries and begs me to stop "But he's already dead!" I am going to drink so much that when I urinate the animals that live in the sewers will die from alcohol poisoning.

So, a quick update. I just fought and beat the absolute **** out of the guy. He was tough as nails though. He tried rushing me at the bell and so I dropped for a double leg and took him down...right into a guillotine. He didn't quite have it but it was close, he held it for about a minute and a half. I was gurgling (guys that fight know what that means) but I don't know if he heard it. I managed to pull out of it and landed a few, and scrambled a bit, ending up on top, before passing to side control and locking up an arm triangle. That sonofabitch was apparently purple but wouldnt tap and was saved by the bell.

In the second round we circled a bit. I landed a solid leg kick and a good 2, before he rushed me again and again I took him down, this time with bigger dump. He got good posture control and started working some 10th planet **** before I passed again and mounted him. I started dropping bombs, bouncing his head off the canvas and he gave up his back to avoid the punishment, at that point I sunk in the Rear Naked Choke.

I now plan to go to Patton Alley Pub tomorrow night and drink so much that my blood will become flammable.

So, a quick update. I just fought and beat the absolute **** out of the guy. He was tough as nails though. He tried rushing me at the bell and so I dropped for a double leg and took him down...right into a guillotine. He didn't quite have it but it was close, he held it for about a minute and a half. I was gurgling (guys that fight know what that means) but I don't know if he heard it. I managed to pull out of it and landed a few, and scrambled a bit, ending up on top, before passing to side control and locking up an arm triangle. That sonofabitch was apparently purple but wouldnt tap and was saved by the bell.

In the second round we circled a bit. I landed a solid leg kick and a good 2, before he rushed me again and again I took him down, this time with bigger dump. He got good posture control and started working some 10th planet **** before I passed again and mounted him. I started dropping bombs, bouncing his head off the canvas and he gave up his back to avoid the punishment, at that point I sunk in the Rear Naked Choke.

I now plan to go to Patton Alley Pub tomorrow night and drink so much that my blood will become flammable.

Congrats. Hope it leads to bigger and better for you. :rockin:

Can't we all just get along?

PTN

I suppose, but it is just so much fun!

For the record, I have never been in a street fight and when I started fighting I used to try to hit them in the forehead so as not to hurt them too bad. I don't think I'm the stereotypical "fighter badass". I just enjoy the competition. :mug:

Congrats man. One thing that can help keeping your strength up for future weight cuts is magnesium supplementation. I made a blog post about it recently:
http://blog.built-for-battle.com/?p=131

Awesome, thanks man. Have you tried it?
I suppose you are John Sullivan, and apparently a strong sonofabitch. I appreciate the help.
I'll be in boston next weekend, do you guys have an open mat at all or anything like that? I might be able to convince the swmbo to let me get beat up between seeing cultural things and other not important things that don't involve me getting beat up.

Awesome, thanks man. Have you tried it?
I suppose you are John Sullivan, and apparently a strong sonofabitch. I appreciate the help.
I'll be in boston next weekend, do you guys have an open mat at all or anything like that? I might be able to convince the swmbo to let me get beat up between seeing cultural things and other not important things that don't involve me getting beat up.

Haha, yeah that's me. I've done it will cutting for strongman comps, and some of my guys have done it cutting for fights and it's worked well.

Yeah, if you're in town definitely stop in if you can. We have wrestling, muay thai, gi BJJ and my strength & conditioning class on Saturday's, so there's plenty of things to try.

Back