Adding Candi sugar in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stubru

Reaction score
Last weekend after my brother and I got in from a night out at the bars, we though 1 am was the perfect time to start brewing. We had a mix of left over grains and candi sugar lying around, I tossed it all into beer smith and came up with what I thought was a half decent recipe. taget OG of 1.056

We made it through the mash just fine. Ran into a little trouble when our 1 hour boil ended up around 3 hours due to falling asleep....:) Now its about 6am, we chill the four or so gallons that are left, take a gravity of 1.072, and pitch a package of Nottingham dry yeast.

Its bubbling away by 2 that afternoon. Anyway, it has now started to slow down and we we're thinking to just keep feeding the thing, and we'll end up with a pretty potent brew. I have about 2lbs of candi sugar left, and wanted to add it in primary. I know it should probably be done incrementally, and was wondering if there were suggestions.

Thanks,

Stu

Welcome to the forums!

Imho, I'd avoid adding anything else at this point. You are really going to be pushing the Nottingham up there and you already based your recipe on a totally different OG.
I'd save the candi sugar for another brew :D

The recipe, as I said it was just a mixed bag of what we had left over:

4.45 lbs Pilsner 2-row
2.60 lbs Maris Otter
1.60 lbs Cara-Pils
.80 lbs Crystal 40
1lb candi sugar
1.5 oz fuggles 60min (which really ended up being 180min)
.5oz fuggles 15min
1 oz styring goldings 0min
1 pkg nottinghams dry yeast

thanks again for the input.

I'm lmao at that story. Falling asleep during boil is classic!!!! :cross:

I'd also leave it be. I think it just might turn out to be pretty good. You name her yet?

A.D.D. Amber
Sleepytime Ale
Negligent Nap Ale
Druck as Skunk Amber

I think it may end up being called the Infinite Wisdom Ale. After a night out with nothing but DFH 60 min, you can get some crazy ideas.

Stubru said:
...I know it should probably be done incrementally...

What effect does the addition of fermentable sugar to a primary or secondary have on the body/flavor profile of the beer?

Back