Over 4 weeks in the bottle now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacster

Reaction score
My first batch has been in the bottle now for over 4 weeks and it gets better every day. I tried one at 2 weeks and it was green and bitter tasting, at 3 weeks it still didn't taste all that great and I was a little discouraged, since 3 weeks is the 'standard' time to allow.

At 4 weeks it is tasting like real beer. I'm doubtful it will make it to 6 weeks the way this stuff is going down. Time for another batch. And maybe this time I'll do two consecutive batches so I have some on hand for spring parties.

Yes, the virtue of patience cannot be overstated with regards to homebrewing. Glad it turned out well...and yes, you need to get brewing, because there's nothing worse than running out of homebrew. Here's some inspiration for ya...now go brew.

4914-btls2.JPG

Good to hear! Keep in mind the aging process is very recipe dependent, but a good rule of thumb when talking about Ales (in general) is that the higher the OG, or the more complex the grain bill recipes tend to need a longer conditioning period than simple light Ales. This is why APA's, Brown's and such are good introductions. And again, there are exceptions to the rules, and much of this is your own personal tastes as well.

So get brewing! Don't be afraid, you'll pretty much be able to keep most beer around for 6 months and it won't get 'bad', maybe just not optimal. There are loads of threads around about conditioning periods...so I won't get into that...but my point is don't let anything stop you from brewing! :D

Isn't it great to watch it age and change? One of the things you can (almost) never get from commercial brew, unless you're going to buy a bunch and cellar it.

Brew until you have more then you need. It's artificial patience!
Evan!'s picture is lovely!

If you're confident about your sanitation, brew a low to moderate gravity batch with some specialty yeast, then when you bottle or rack the first batch, brew a higher gravity batch and pitch it on the cake. You'll get a great fermentation and MORE BEER!

Evan! said:
Yes, the virtue of patience cannot be overstated with regards to homebrewing. Glad it turned out well...and yes, you need to get brewing, because there's nothing worse than running out of homebrew. Here's some inspiration for ya...now go brew.

4914-btls2.JPG

PARTY @ EVAN'S!!!

Wow, that's a lot of beer. My biggest fear with homebrewing is that I'll look like a carboy with arms and legs if I keep drinking the stuff, or even worse, my wife will look like that.

In any case, I've ordered another 2 kits. I'm going to stick with all malt kits for a while. the Brewer's Best kit I used seemed to be a good choice for my first batch.

Back