Pale Chocolate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pale Chocolate is a lighter roasted chocolate malt of about 200L. B3 carries it. It gives a unique toasty character and is different then regular chocolate malt.

Brewpastor said:
Pale Chocolate is a lighter roasted chocolate malt of about 200L. B3 carries it. It gives a unique toasty character and is different then regular chocolate malt.
I was wondering what it was too. I need to get me some of that! I wonder what color it lends to beer?

RichBrewer said:
I was wondering what it was too. I need to get me some of that! I wonder what color it lends to beer?

Its a dark brown. Jamils recipes tend to split it 50:50 with regular chocolate so a little goes a long way. I've used it in his Robust Porter and that is a smooth, complex beer that is all about the malt. Very tasty :rockin:

GT

The Belgiun Special-B is similar to the Pale Chocolate.
I've used the SpecialB in place of the pale Chocolate a few times, as it is far more common at my LHBS.

nick

HP_Lovecraft said:
The Belgiun Special-B is similar to the Pale Chocolate.
I've used the SpecialB in place of the pale Chocolate a few times, as it is far more common at my LHBS.

nick

correct me if im wrong but i thought special B was a dark crystal malt?

I used pale chocolate in place of carraffe in a weizenbock on the suggestion of my LHBS and it came out great. nice and roasty.

You could probably use Carafa I (dehusked) in place of pale chocolate with some degree of success. It'd be darker, but the flavor isn't quite so intense as you'd normally associate with a grain roasted to 400L.

pale chocolate's signature is a toasty character that is hard to describe or (IMO) duplicate. There are things that can be substituted but they are substitutes and not really the same thing.

Back