anyone brew from cereal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

namessuck

Reaction score
Ive heard of brew made from captain crunch.And thought count chocula or frankenberry or even grape nuts would be fun.Has anyone done this?

I am pretty sure I said "...two of my absolute favorite things in this world."
not My Two Absolute Favorite Thing in this World
<nudge>
<wink>
</nudge>
</wink>

Lucky Charms all the way... now if only those marshmallows wouldn't kill the head retention.

I had a buddy who made the occasional malt-o-meal beer. He said it wasn't half bad. I never got a chance to taste it, though.

He must have been related to that Craig character on youtube.

jeff967 said:
I think that grape nuts might have potential

If you look at the ingredients of Grape Nuts, it's essentially beer. I heard that adding a little bit of Grape Nuts to a mash adds nutrients. I've done it a couple of times. I can't say for sure if it helped, but it certainly didn't hurt anything.

srm775 said:
If you look at the ingredients of Grape Nuts, it's essentially beer. I heard that adding a little bit of Grape Nuts to a mash adds nutrients. I've done it a couple of times. I can't say for sure if it helped, but it certainly didn't hurt anything.

It's true, and there's even yeast in the ingredients I believe.

Pacific Gem hops added at 20 min. left in the boil will give you a nice mild smell of Frankenberry cereal - really. I haven't used it yet as an aroma hop. The two beers I've brewed with Pacific Gem hops both had the smell. Both also had a .5 oz Glacier addition at 5 min that didn't over power this.

There are people here (or were here) who have used cereal. I don't remember anyone posting the results. Maybe it didn't work, maybe the Parenting Police came knocking, we'll never know.

I would have to say that someone out there has put almost anything you can think of into brew. If people are willing to waste weed in brew and then there is the OPB where they used yeast from a womans ({}), I would have to bet someone has tried cereal.

I remember a while back someone said they used corn flakes. There's also oat meal, cream of wheat and corn grits which are just hot cereals.

I might also consider corn, wheat, or rice chex as an adjunct .

Think I'll leave the Cptn Crunch, Frankenberry and Count Chocula to others.

the lady at the brew supply said she tasted a beer made from captain crunch and said it was really good.i wasn't trying to be cute.I thought maybe someone had done it or had a recipe.I imagine it would be a all grain recipe.

namessuck said:
the lady at the brew supply said she tasted a beer made from captain crunch and said it was really good.i wasn't trying to be cute.I thought maybe someone had done it or had a recipe.I imagine it would be a all grain recipe.

My only trepidation on using a cereal like capt. crunch or something else like that would be all the preservatives and artificial flavorings they add to those cereals. Don't get me wrong, I love yellow dye #3 and the mysterious "artifical flavor" as much as the next guy, but I've noticed that any "artifical" ingredients in beer ruin the beer, and are very easily and quickly noticed.

But, I say go for it if that's what you want ... I can't remember if it's trix or fuity pebbles thats used for the Sunset Wheat clone:mug:

I use instant oatmeal and instant corn grits in appropriate brews. I believe Jamil said something about using corn flakes in his program on Pilsners. I think the tricks with adjuncts like these is to use them as only a very small portion of the grain bill to keep strange flavors from overpowering, and cook the hell out of them in boiling water for an hour or more before adding to the mash. Stuff like the flavorings for "berries" in cereals is likely to end up similar to making fruit beer..... which 99% of the time tastes like poop IMO.

You mean you're suppose to add the cereal to the beer? I've always poured a bowl of cereal, then added the beer.;)

But only for breakfast, for lunch I soak my bologna sandwich in beer. :mug:

Some of these recipes seem really tempting. I could totally see a nice English style mild or pale ale with some Cap'n. As far as the preservatives, I drink BMC sometimes, and that hasn't killed me yet. Also, Cracklin Oat Bran is one of my favorite cereals, and I don't see how eight ounces could do any harm to a stout.

Back