Cappuccino Stout - 3 oz liquid coffee or ground coffee?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logzor

Reaction score
I have a batch of Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout in primary. It calls for 3 oz of coffee. I assume it liquid brewed coffee but it doesn't sound like enough for 5 gallon batch. Could it possibly mean 3 oz ground coffee?

Hmm... I would assume coffee grounds. Save yourself a headache and cold-steep the coffee grounds in 8 ounces of water.

i've used coffee before by racking onto grounds. Worked well, but be cautious on the amount and the duration of time you leave the beer on the coffee. 3oz sounds right for 5gal, i wouldn't go any more unless you like a little beer with your coffee.

Also i would only leave the beer on the grounds for 24 hours, the longer it sits on there the more coffee flavor is extracted. I left a batch on for 72 hours once and it was a mistake. My brown ale was black and the taste was over whelming.

If you do decide to brew the coffee do a cold brew with a french press. If you heat up the coffee you'll extract oils and tannins from the coffee beans.

Latest posts

Back