Cider making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbbeach

Reaction score
macanudojohn said:
My first post was in dire need of advice! Luckily got quick posts and a reply from a friend (who recommended the forum to me and helped me with my first brew) and now I am addicted to both the forum and brewing!

Love being able to say, "Yeah, that beer you are drinking...I made it!" :mug:

Glad to see there are so many experienced people willing to share info to help everyone make better beer! Cheers!

I'm new to this brewing stuff and I've got some apples and water and sugar fermenting with bakers yeast should I have used a brewers yeast

skillzman1 said:
hello all,
just brewed my first batch last week,still waiting for the bottling stage to get here.I've been poking around here for a few days...lots of great info.
I'll try to exhaust the 'search' function so I'm not asking the same questins all over...but bear with me!!LOL

I'm new to this brewing stuff I've got crushed apples water and sugar fermenting with bakers yeast. Should I have used brewers yiest

A lot of us know a lot about brewing cider... Me I know a fair bit now, but I still have a lot to learn. Bakers yeast is not what anyone would recommend for brewing anything except "Joe's Ancient Orange Mead". Brewers yeast is 100 time better, bakers yeast wasn't designed for brewing, it is like using a butter knife for carving roast beef. It'll do the job, but it is far from ideal.

If you browse this forum you'll find tons of great tips and information. There is also a great selection of recipes in the recipe section under ciders.

Good luck and if you have any more questions, please ask. It may takes some time to get some answers... Many of us are busy brewing, or doing other less satisfying tasks!

Cheers, and welcome to your new addiction!

Depending on where you are located, there's usually a brew shop in most of the major markets in the US. If you don't have one close by, try an internet search for brewing supplies. As Devo9 said, baker's yeast works, but you do get better results from a wine or ale yeast. You can get wine yeast for less than a dollar a pack and ale yeast for 2 or 3.

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/product/0101408/danstar-nottingham-ale-yeast

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/product/0102035/red-star-montrachet-yeast

White Labs WLP775 Old English Cider Yeast is available so many places on-line for $7 or $8. It comes wet, in a vial and most times you can just pitch it, no starter, no nutrients. Doesn't get much easier.

"Fermented troll" doesn't sound very tasty... Maybe a "Troll's Brew" wouldn't be bad, but I'm not sure how that would taste...

Back