Anyone tried using breakfast cereal in the mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregblatz

Reaction score
I was smellng my APA last week while kegging and it reminded me of fruit loops, so I started thinking...

What about adding in some crushed up fruit loops in my next batch of American Pal Ale?

I guess it would partially ferment, maybe add some mouthfeel with any unfermentables?

Has anyone tried this? Any feedback on why it would be a bad idea?

OK, read through the posts and it doesn't sound like anyone had any luck with it. Maybe just a pale ale with a bowl of cereal on the side for breakfast!

BYO had an article recently using several breakfast cereals. Corn flakes worked very well in a CAP the did. In fact, I plan to sub either those or grits for flaked corn in my next cream ale.

http://***********/store?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=116&category_id=23

They changed the ingredients sometime in the last year, but PRIOR to the change the list of ingredients for Grape Nutswas (literally, not kidding):

• matled barley
  • yeast
  • salt
I think it has some wheat in it now and maybe something else, but it's still largely made with malted barley.

I was reading about this somewhere recently. I can't remember if it was in a BYO article or some brewing book. It was just a passing refernce, but essentially the only drawback to brewing with something like corn flake breakfast cereals is that they contain additives. If you had a cereal that was pure corn flakes without added sugar, salt, preservatives, etc you should be able to mash it.

I use shredded wheat and it comes out great, however I did find I can't really notice the difference if I just mash with wheat grain so since the wheat grain is easier to mash I plan on just doing that once the last boxes of cereal are gone. Problem with shredded wheat is it tends to get stuck, that and is probably more $$$.

I actually use various breakfast cereals in all my beers as the primary ingredient. No extract, nope. Cereal, turns out pretty good everytime. :mug:

Last year, Ballast Point did a variation of Victory at Sea. They called it Victory at Cereal. It was mash/dry hopped with cap'n crunch. Absolutely incredible! It tasted like I was drinking the milk from the bottom of the bowl of cap'n crunch. Give it a shot!

^I've actually been meaning to try cap'n crunch oats or frosted flakes. But just the cap'n crunch oats, not the berries, i think the berries would give it a fruit character, not really what im looking for.

Just gotta watch for preservatives... or figure a way to inactivate them. Seems like an easy fun venture

Old topic, but would love to hear more about it. I'm about to make a mash tomorrow using the off brand of honey bunches of oats. It has ingredients such as whole grain wheat, whole grain rolled oats, malt extract, molasses, honey.im excited about it! It seems to be the most complete ingredient list of all the cereal I've seen.

Once I used corn flakes breakfast cereal in place of flaked corn. It worked just fine but the flakes dissolved into mush in the mash tun, and the fermentor had more sediment than usual.

I used a bag of cornflakes in a basic pilsner recipe recently. I used a decoction mash step. Lager came out great. The corn gave it a really nice finish. Think Corona/Sol, but better...

A local brewery (Trim Tab) has done a Cinnamon Toast Crunch Olde Ale. The first time I had it, it was outstanding. The second time...meh. I know the first time I had the last of the keg, so maybe all the goodness was at the bottom. They've also done a Cocoa Puffs Old Ale. It was OK. Both time they just "dry-hopped" the cereals.

Ive done a box of captain crunch in the mash and another box for a dry hop

I once did a Cinnamon Toast Kolsch, it was ok. I could taste the cereal in the wort, but once fermented all that remained of the cereal flavor was a little astringency from the cinnamon.

I also did an imperial stout and threw 2 boxes of Peanut Butter Crunch in the mash, that turned out pretty damn well, the peanut butter flavor definitely came through in the final beer.l

Back