apfel wein question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemman14

Reaction score
I have a batch of apfel wine that has been fermenting for 31 days. I was hoping to bottle it before Thursday because I am going home for Christmas break and would like to give some of the bottles as gifts. The Sg is about 1.000 but co2 bubbles are still coming out of solution. Is this finished? The temperature has been around 70 for the fermentation.

if it's not done it won't go much lower. It's probably just residual co2 escaping. Keep in mind that at 30 days, this is nowhere near ready to drink. I don't like mine until 6 months. I prefer 8 months or older.

right, i plan to tell the people I am giving them to to hold off drinking them as long as they can :D. So 1.000 is done?

if it's not done it won't go much lower. It's probably just residual co2 escaping. Keep in mind that at 30 days, this is nowhere near ready to drink. I don't like mine until 6 months. I prefer 8 months or older.

what if it is bottled like beer? I mean corn sugar added and capped in beer bottles? Does it still need that time?

what if it is bottled like beer? I mean corn sugar added and capped in beer bottles? Does it still need that time?

yes.
i carb'd my apfelwein and really did not like it at all.

until it was 6 months old. then it was a completely different drinking experience.

sure you CAN drink it young but you'll be missing out on the real experience.

yes.
i carb'd my apfelwein and really did not like it at all.

until it was 6 months old. then it was a completely different drinking experience.

sure you CAN drink it young but you'll be missing out on the real experience.

Thanks.. That is what I wanted to know. so it is a 6-8 month deal wherever and however it is kept?

I have another question, I wanted to add some yeast nutrient to this batch. Do i need to dissolve the nutrient in water and boil it for 15 minutes to sterilize or can i just dump it in along with the yeast?

I am hoping to bottle this today. I am trying to get a video of the co2 bubbles uploaded to youtube but youtube seems to be running slow. If it is at or below 1.000 it should be safe to bottle correct? I plan on adding 3.74 oz of corn sugar to carbonate

here is the video. As you can see there is a decent amount of bubbles still rising up.

Last edited by a moderator:
At 1.000, I would think it would be a bit late for adding nutrients.

Back